Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    9

    Default Which laptop would you recommend?

    Hey, I'm new here and a total computer dunce. I'm going to buy myself a laptop tomorrow and I need help. I'm still undecided as to if I should get a full sized, high powered laptop to replace the 5 year old behemoth I use as a home computer, or a mini laptop solely for university work. Heres what I'm looking for;
    (*Lag: Meaning when the computer goes slowly or skips frames etc, not internet lag. Not sure what to call this.)

    Full Size Laptop

    -Under $1800

    -Able to run an internet explorer program, good quality word processor, and music player simultaneously with zero lag.

    -Able to run games in the Red Alert 3 requirements range(even if its just on low quality mode, as long as theres no lag)

    -Lightweight as possible for the above conditions(I'm a student, so I will need to carry this bad boy around for as much as 11 hours at a time)

    -Not HP or other garbage brand.

    Mini Laptop

    -Well under $1800

    -Small and lightweight(this is of greater importance than the large laptop, as if I pick this I'm going solely for portability, would want to have it in my bag for 11 hours five days a week)

    -Able to run two of: Internet explorer program, Good Quality Word Processor, Music Player: Simultaneously without lag, or all 3 with lag well within reasonable tolerances.

    -Able to run games like Final Doom, Age of Empires 1, and 2nd gen console emulators(for games I physically own of course).

    -Good battery life

    -Not HP or other garbage brand.


    What does PC World suggest?

  2. #2
    Señor Member nofam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Mollywood
    Posts
    2,323

    Default Re: Which laptop would you recommend?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jedalius View Post
    Hey, I'm new here and a total computer dunce. I'm going to buy myself a laptop tomorrow and I need help. I'm still undecided as to if I should get a full sized, high powered laptop to replace the 5 year old behemoth I use as a home computer, or a mini laptop solely for university work. Heres what I'm looking for;
    (*Lag: Meaning when the computer goes slowly or skips frames etc, not internet lag. Not sure what to call this.)

    Full Size Laptop

    -Under $1800

    -Able to run an internet explorer program, good quality word processor, and music player simultaneously with zero lag.

    -Able to run games in the Red Alert 3 requirements range(even if its just on low quality mode, as long as theres no lag)

    -Lightweight as possible for the above conditions(I'm a student, so I will need to carry this bad boy around for as much as 11 hours at a time)

    -Not HP or other garbage brand.

    Mini Laptop

    -Well under $1800

    -Small and lightweight(this is of greater importance than the large laptop, as if I pick this I'm going solely for portability, would want to have it in my bag for 11 hours five days a week)

    -Able to run two of: Internet explorer program, Good Quality Word Processor, Music Player: Simultaneously without lag, or all 3 with lag well within reasonable tolerances.

    -Able to run games like Final Doom, Age of Empires 1, and 2nd gen console emulators(for games I physically own of course).

    -Good battery life

    -Not HP or other garbage brand.


    What does PC World suggest?
    How about this for a Full Size Laptop?
    .
    .
    .

    Got a natural pearl in my calloused hand
    ...Saved for the girl who could really understand
    ......What it takes to see
    .........The gold from the alchemy

  3. #3
    Senior Member pctek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    In the Wild West
    Posts
    24,212

    Default Re: Which laptop would you recommend?

    ASUS +2
    wipe your paws.

  4. #4
    Madre Dios!!! beeswax34's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Central Auckland
    Posts
    5,133

    Default Re: Which laptop would you recommend?

    HP make very good netbooks actually. The keyboards are actually decent to type on and have good battery life.
    All the technology and software in the universe is useless when the end user has the IQ of a sack of hammers.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Blam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    7,382

    Default Re: Which laptop would you recommend?

    Quote Originally Posted by beeswax34 View Post
    HP make very good netbooks actually. The keyboards are actually decent to type on and have good battery life.
    +1

    Only thing I don't like is the location of the touchpad buttons

    For laptop recommendations:

    http://justlaptops.net.nz/product/16...mi-vb-xp-wcam/

    http://justlaptops.net.nz/product/30...geforce9-512m/

    http://justlaptops.net.nz/product/16...mi-vb-xp-wcam/

    For the smaller notebook...how about an asus eee 1000HA or something similar? You sacrifice a DVD drive, but its very light and VERY long battery life

    Blam


  6. #6
    Senior Member pctek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    In the Wild West
    Posts
    24,212

    Default Re: Which laptop would you recommend?

    Quote Originally Posted by beeswax34 View Post
    HP make very good netbooks actually.
    HP don't make laptops at all.
    Quanta or Compal make them. And you have no idea what motherboard is in them.
    You do with ASUS.
    wipe your paws.

  7. #7
    Dr. Geek
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    239

    Default Re: Which laptop would you recommend?

    I see you have come to this forum for some very last minute advice. I say this because if are serious about a light-weight machine I would definitely hold-off and check the new 11.6" Acer and ASUS models that are due out this month. The Acer Aspire One 751 specs are already available. Very good battery life. Only marginally heavier than the current 10" varieties. A "full sized" 1366*768 screen. I have an 8.9" Acer and have found the portability fantastic.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    9

    Default Re: Which laptop would you recommend?

    Yeah, it is kind of last minute I know. Atm, I think I will go for the Duelcore as the M51 is 2ghz rather than 2.2 required for Vista to run RA3.

    But I still might get a notebook, in which case I'm still stumped on what to get. I've heard the eee is both excellent and rubbish from different sources who both have considerable experiance with computers, so I just don't know what to think.

  9. #9
    Señor Member nofam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Mollywood
    Posts
    2,323

    Default Re: Which laptop would you recommend?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jedalius View Post
    Yeah, it is kind of last minute I know. Atm, I think I will go for the Duelcore as the M51 is 2ghz rather than 2.2 required for Vista to run RA3.

    But I still might get a notebook, in which case I'm still stumped on what to get. I've heard the eee is both excellent and rubbish from different sources who both have considerable experiance with computers, so I just don't know what to think.
    IMHO, anyone who says the Eee (particularly the latest Atom-based models) is rubbish either hasn't used one, or is trying to use it to do something that netbooks/UMPC's aren't designed to do.
    .
    .
    .

    Got a natural pearl in my calloused hand
    ...Saved for the girl who could really understand
    ......What it takes to see
    .........The gold from the alchemy

  10. #10
    Senior Member Blam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    7,382

    Default Re: Which laptop would you recommend?

    Quote Originally Posted by nofam View Post
    IMHO, anyone who says the Eee (particularly the latest Atom-based models) is rubbish either hasn't used one, or is trying to use it to do something that netbooks/UMPC's aren't designed to do.
    +1

    Great value, and are very good netbooks.

    What screen size are you looking at?

    is 8.9" ok or 10" or 12"?

    Blam


Similar Threads

  1. Recommend Reliable Laptop?
    By Winston001 in forum PressF1
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 28-04-2009, 12:27 PM
  2. Recommend me a laptop
    By jwil1 in forum PressF1
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 29-03-2009, 03:59 PM
  3. Recommend A Laptop
    By Winston001 in forum PressF1
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-09-2008, 10:29 AM
  4. LAPTOP which would you recommend?
    By Winnie in forum PressF1
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 25-04-2008, 07:25 PM
  5. Can anyone recommend
    By summertime in forum PressF1
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-02-2003, 09:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •