Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Putting Data on D Drive - My Documents ?

Yes, you can get XP/Vista to move the My Docs but don't create the destination folder or you will get what I got, namely, the copied folder as a sub folder of the one I created. Just point the destination to the D: or whatever.

Thanks guys, very helpful - this means I can overcome a very annoying problem with Windows. I will try Pctek's solution 1st and Scouse's if need be.

Scouse - I presume the Office button you refer to is on the Office Toolbar (which I don't use but could restore it for this purpose) and that you R click it.

If the application is correctly using the My Documents location, which most apps do, it will use whatever folder you direct My Documents to.
    Inphinity - when you say "direct My Documents" I presume you mean relocate My Documents as per the solutions posted.
    Putting your data on D: is a good idea. Not only does it greatly facilitate a clean Windows reinstall if necessary but it was a boon when the HDD in my wife's laptop failed recently. The C: partition was corrupted and couldn't be accessed but I was able to retrieve all her data and other stuff off the D: partition.
    Last edited by Robin S_; 13-05-2009 at 01:36 PM.

Thanks Scouse. I presume that's from Office 2007 - we have Office XP. Will be trying Pctek's method shortly and will look for an equivalent Office button later if necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by pctek View Post
    Via Windows Explorer.
    Right click and CUT MyDocuments, scroll to D:, right click and Paste it.

Don't copy, CUT and that alters all the reg settings etc so Windows and all apps know its the new location.

Simple.
    I couldn't get that to work - possibly because we are using Office XP and this may be for 2007. When I R click on My Documents for the shortcut menu it has an option to Copy but none to Cut. I tried going to the Edit menu but Cut is greyed there. I attempted this using My Documents from the LH folders pane and by opening the Desktop folder in that pane and selecting My Documents in the RH pane - the results were the same either way. Am I missing something or does this not work with Office XP?

Using - XP, Office XP, IE 6.

I do this all the time - so that when I format my XP partition I lose nothing and dont have to muck around backing up things again.

Its amazing that so many are still set up with one large partition-no wonder people dont re-install windows very often. I enjoy the speed of 1month old installs.

Got back to this at last. Our Office XP doesn't coincide with Blam6's method (different tabs and options etc) but by playing around with that I have apparently got it to work - the final test will be to see if other apps find My Documents now that it is on the D: partition.
    Scouse - I realised later that your method is for storing Word (only) data at a non-default location but I wanted to relocate the whole My Documents folder.
    Pctek - I still suspect your method is for Office 2007, although I didn't try cutting using Crtl-X but I don't think that would have worked.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Camelot's Wizard

To possibly improve performance or for ease to backup data or restore the OS, consider moving the Documents and Settings folder if using up to XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949977 or the User folder(s) if using Vista or above - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q236621/. This method relocates other hidden folders and files such as email store, address book and cookies. As always, backup first and do at your own risk