Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Uneqfglyr, shpx lrnu ubergeek85's Avatar

Default Getting a Firearms licence

Hi all. As a part of my 18'th bday prezzie, my father is paying for my firearms licence. I'm not too bad with guns, and know about gun safety (ie assume it's loaded and unsafe, always point in a safe direction, don't load until needed, etc). Anything I really need to know? Thanks.
    ........,-O
    .......O(_)) ubuntu 11.04 because I'm insane
    ........`-O

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    I think I scare ubergeek85. His first words to me were 'you banned me'.

Default Re: Getting a Firearms licence

Read up on that already, just after people who might be able to shed a bit more light on it.
    ........,-O
    ........`-O

Getting your firearms license is much easier than getting your learners car licence.

Basically you go to a 'seminar' thingo that the cops put on one evening, they run over the firearms code in detail with you, then you have a multi-choice quiz/test.

The cops are usually very good and will help you with your test and even help you with it, they are basically wanting to weed out the idiots from the competent users.

If you have used a firearm for a while and are a good logical thinking person you will breeze through it no problems.

As far as sitting the test, visit your local cop-shop and enquire/book a time and date with them.

Well I don't even have a learners, so this could get interesting!

Thanks.
    ........,-O
    ........`-O

Well learners is pretty damn simple - so yea, use good common sense and its a breeze

Its ok I am from Motueka. prefect's Avatar

All males at our school had to sit gun licence at high school.
    I guess they wouldn't force kids to get a gun licence these days.
    Its amazing how Potatoes give us chips,fries and Vodka.

Get your s*** together every other vegetable.

Peripatetic member

When the whole system toughened up a few years ago, with new regulations (including compulsory approved lockable gun cabinets), naturally everyone needed new licences.

And the main thing I remember is that suddenly all shooters, even if they never touched a gun outside duck-shooting season, were assessed for more than their technical ability.
    Someone had realised that maybe not everyone who could shoot a gun should necessarily HAVE one...

Certainly in Central Otago, the police were very thorough in following up the "psychological" side of things.
    Interviews with wives & partners were obligatory - and they were asked if they felt OK about the licence being issued. And if they said no, that was that. No licence!
    You can imagine the fun some women had teasing The Bloke that they could finish his messy duck-shooting for ever by saying No.
    (Not that I would ever have put the late Mr Laura - a shooter since his teens - through such mental torment, of course. Yeah, right...)

But it was good that suddenly families were being asked if they'd feel uneasy if XXX got a gun licence.
    Presumably the questions are still tough? So now those who think they wouldn't pass the test, don't even try? They're not supposed to be able to buy firearms without a licence. But obviously we have enough of an underworld that they can.

So I guess it's like dog licencing. The real problem owners don't do it...

Sooo, Geekster, I'm curious to know if someone's going to ask your parents/teachers/friends/whatever whether they think you're a fit & proper person to own a gun?
    Or was that just a touchy/feely phase of the time - and now all that anyone cares about is practical safety stuff?
    Nothing wrong with that, but I'd like to think we're still TRYING to let only the not-easily-angered-with-gun-in-hand have a licence to kill.

The part that worries me is that if I had a firearms licence I would be compelled to have the firearm in a steel cabinet with a padlock. This would make sure that I can't have quick and easy access in a hurry.

That way when the home invasion happens the invader notices I have a steel cabinet (which is a dead giveaway) and demands the key to the padlock under penalty of serious harm to me and mine. I, of course, give in and hand over the key. The offender then takes the gun and carries on with the aforementioned threat anyway.

You just can't trust these home invaders to tell the truth now can you?

You can't trust some people on TradeMe not to sell you a firearm before you send them a copy of the licence either for that matter.

I'd rather be a live cynic than be dead or seriously beaten.

Peripatetic member

Sadly, Sweep, I agree that your legal gun in its steel cabinet won't protect you from the home invaders.

It's true that you won't be able to get that gun out in time to help.
    (Or possibly you could if they made lots of noise before getting in..? Let's be optimistic)

But surely you're not going to just hand over the key on demand because they've seen the cabinet?
    Naturally you will have hidden your gun cabinet so securely that it can't be spotted by stray home invaders?
    (Well, that's what all of the best comic strips would recommend. The options of WHERE are so ginormous we won't go into that right now.
    Sorry, I just realised McGiver (sp?) is probably more what I mean.

Personally I'm a believer in the metal poker as a handy weapon.
    Those without fireplaces may be disadvantaged here. They probably also lack another basic - the very useful kindling axe.
    I doubt that the owners of heat pumps have an equivalent.
    (The option of a security alarm is really not much use in an emergency in the "real" country.Too slow)

There's town & there's country & there are bits in between...and guns are a problem nowadays in all of them.
    So all we can do is encourage basic common sense, plus have a wee think about whether some of our aquaintances really should have a gun