Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bankcard woes

Default Re: Bankcard woes

Quote Originally Posted by somebody View Post
    Enter your pin over the phone? That's quite dangerous!
    AFAIK the BNZ operator switches you to the phone banking interface temporarily, how else would that work.

Hey matey, despite being contrary to what would seem to be common sense, all you need to do is put a length of cellotape across the magnetic strip on your card, and leave it there!

Ideally, run the tape right around onto the face0side of the card and overlap the ends - to reduce the chances of the tape coming loose and fouling the eftpos machine.

The reason cards become hard to read is that the magnetic particles on the strip become smudged - and this produces extra noise among the intended signal from the cards strip.
    The noise is weak, being from a minority of smudged particles, among a majority of ok particles.
    Adding tape weakenss the entire singal, but the weaker smudged particles become so weak that they no longer interfere, and the desired data is read cleanly. THe tape also prevents further smudging.

Westpac charged me for a new card when mine started to delaminate. I tried to argue but the option was no money no card and the hassle to change banks was too heavy at the time.

Thats why Westpac sucks
    I left them years ago

Quote Originally Posted by Paul.Cov View Post
    Hey matey, despite being contrary to what would seem to be common sense, all you need to do is put a length of cellotape across the magnetic strip on your card, and leave it there!

Ideally, run the tape right around onto the face0side of the card and overlap the ends - to reduce the chances of the tape coming loose and fouling the eftpos machine.

The reason cards become hard to read is that the magnetic particles on the strip become smudged - and this produces extra noise among the intended signal from the cards strip.
    The noise is weak, being from a minority of smudged particles, among a majority of ok particles.
    Adding tape weakenss the entire singal, but the weaker smudged particles become so weak that they no longer interfere, and the desired data is read cleanly. THe tape also prevents further smudging.

I found that leaving the tape on caused the card to fail at outlets where it previously worked fine.....
    better Dredd then dead