Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Major Malfunction

I have had my Laptop for a while now. It is a Toshiba Satellite M30. All of a sudden it stopped recognizing flash drives. i mean it recognizes them but it doesn't come up on the auto-play and it doesn't show on my computer either. I am running windows XP home. Also, some of my Toshiba software is not working as well. Toshiba Power saver says that I need to apply it to my power scheme. i do that on power options via control panel and then it says that i need to start power saver first. It doesn't end. Also, when the flash drives stopped working, every time i log on it comes up with a message that says svhost.exe had to close. This is really annoying as i need the computer for study and using flash drives is the easiest way to transfer my data. Would appreciate some help. One more thing. When I scan my computer for viruses and do a full system scan it only scans about 2750 files. this number also varies up and down. It doesn't come up with anything. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Default Re: Major Malfunction

can u try it in safe mode ?
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

JOIN THE FREE FORUMS!!!!!!

What virus scanner are you using?

In device manager(run>devmgmt.msc) are there any devices with a exclaimation mark next to them? If so, right click the, select uninstall and reboot.

svhost.exe is a major worm that can spread through emails and can steal passwords and confidential data.

Disable System restore by right clicking my computer>properties>select "system restore" tab and tick "disable system restore on all drives">Click OK

Do not re-enable system restore until malware removal process is finished.

Next download MalwareBytes, update, and perform a full scan

Once it has finished, it may prompt you to reboot, which you should allow.

If the program cannot run then shutdown the computer, then boot it up, tapping F8 while booting, thene select "Safe Mode with Networking"

Download Spyware Terminator, update and perform a full scan. Do not install the Crawler Toobar, Web Guard, or ClamAV during installation.

Once both scans are finished, download and run HijackThis, then copy and paste the log here for analysis. Attach scan logs from MalwareBytes and Spyware terminator also.

Blam

thanks blam6 Ill do that probably tonight and post it back here tomorrow. I am running Norton Anti virus 2009 by the way

Another thing I forgot to mention. Usually when i restart the computer it somehow automatically disables windows firewall, even though I turned it on before shut down

Uninstall that immediately.

Its one of the many viruses that has infected your PC

Install something such as Avast! which is free.

http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html

Requires free registration every 14 months

Quote Originally Posted by nzjab06 View Post
    Another thing I forgot to mention. Usually when i restart the computer it somehow automatically disables windows firewall, even though I turned it on before shut down
    Probably the malware causing mayhem..

Looks like that file belongs to mydoom / or socksbot. So, I would get rid of it, before you plug any usb flash drives into this system. or use it in other computers

If you use IRC get out of it, till you fix / remove this backdoor trojan

Someone may have downloaded and opened an attachment in email

If this svhost.exe file is running now (in task manager), kill its process and find that file / and delete it

Once you remove it, make sure XP is up to date

But there is way more than 1 svchost processses running and the problem one has already closed. What do I do?

svchost is a windows file svhost.exe isnt (notice there's no C in the 2nd file)