Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: easter driving

Default Re: easter driving

A rather pale neighbour came back from an attempt to go to Whangarei today, he got as far as Albany (a very small percentage of the distance) and thought the road kamikaze squadrons were activated. He is a shaken man.
    Entropy is not what
    it used to be.

not to suprised. tho when there is lots of traffic and its crawling its a lot better. no one bothers trying anything silly.
    however once they get past the bottle necks their brains go out the window and it becomes a drag race.
    Tweak it till it breaks

Wanderer

I just came back from Rotorua trip last night (origin Wellington).
    I found that less people were speeding, some were happy at just 90km. A few more cop cars. Much of that is 50s male glases, short hair, merino wool top ... I stared at them Holden / Fords V8s.

I did see a 60s year old male lunatic overtaking 5 cars at one go, south of the dessert road.

They tend to place efforts in urban roads like cameras .. but what about highways? Everyday it is a standard understanding 100km means 120km and overtaking means 140km.

What was last night, papareiki (sp) south of Raumati, a cop car, blocked off a road going up this hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    I found that less people were speeding, some were happy at just 90km. A few more cop cars. Much of that is 50s male glases, short hair, merino wool top ... I stared at them Holden / Fords V8s.

I did see a 60s year old male lunatic overtaking 5 cars at one go, south of the dessert road.

They tend to place efforts in urban roads like cameras .. but what about highways? Everyday it is a standard understanding 100km means 120km and overtaking means 140km.

What was last night, papareiki (sp) south of Raumati, a cop car, blocked off a road going up this hill.
    Paekakariki?

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument. -William G. McAdoo, lawyer and politician (1863-1941)

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post

Waikikamukau

Ken
    Corgi Ben Kenobi.......Related by Corgi to the Queen

Wanderer

Paekakariki - that one
    Just after the rail station. A cop car blocked this this road off SH1 then a road which goes up this hill he had his car door opened and his boot.

Quote Originally Posted by prefect View Post
    Car kit talking on phone same as talking to passenger in car. Now tell me you dont talk to a passenger when you are driving a car car.
    Actually, thats not true. Studies show that when you are talking to a passenger, if you approach a dangerous situation, the passenger will stop talking until you have negotiated the hazard, then pick up the conversation again.

However , a caller on the phone has no such knowledge, and continues to absorb your attention during the hazardous manoeuvre.

Not being argumentative, just an interesting fact, try it when you are next driving.
    "Heres my ten cents, my two cents are free."

Wanderer

Yup I agree myself if I talk on the phone car kit or without, or those handsfree cables or even talking to passengers I am less focus on driving

But in a plane well they cannot put traffic lights up there can they? There is also a lot less planes up in the sky and larger following distances and no pedestrians

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10566565

A 65-year-old woman died instantly when her car and a light van collided in the Northland town of Te Hana, just north of Wellsford, today.
    went past it this morning, just another crash

easter road behaviour has been shocking considering how little traffic there has been this easter.
    Last edited by tweak'e; 14-04-2009 at 06:21 PM.
    Tweak it till it breaks

We had a quiet uneventful trip to Whitianga from Auckland. Minor holdup on the Kopu bridge.

Only one or two impatient people passing in bad places, but the most stunning maneuver of all was two motorbikes (looked like racing bikes, not that I know much about bikes) passed several of us winding our way north between Tairua and Coroglen.

We were reasonably close together and traffic coming towards us on a very windy section and these bikes were flying by us as though we were stopped. The second one had a very young kid on the back of it. Real crazies. They were stopped at the Coroglen pub when we got to there.

I fully expected them to be found up ahead of us somewhere splattered across the road, but no such luck.
    Thermaltake Armor Case/1100W PSU
    Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Motherboard i7-960 3.2 GHz
    Gigabyte GV-N670OC-4GD GForce GTX-670
    Corsair 4x8GB, DDR3-1600 32GB
    5 x Seagate HDD's 3.0TB each
    Dual 22" ViewSonic Widescreen
    NexStar Dual SATA Dock