Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to??

Default How to??

Ahoy! Bit of an odd question but how does one go about hacking?

Nothing in particular but just the general breaking down of software security. I'm interested in learning how to, not for any real use just out of curiosity.

I can imagine most software developers would have a fair idea of how to go about it anyway

Anyone point me in the direction of useful information? Google has shown alot of stuff but there must be some more useful than others

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

Default Re: How to??

It depends on your description of Hacking. Richard Stallman would argue that Hacking is the playful culture that computer geeks surround themselves with in a bid to learn more, new things, push the limits and share knowledge. This kind of hacking (although many confuse the name) is welcome amongst IT geeks and gurus alike and is something many aspire to.

Cracking on the other hand is the reverse engineering of software, breaking down of systems, and other such things, and is generally frowned upon, and not the kind of thing we go into on these forums
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

Hacking does bring many connotations, but I reckon Hacking is just "Playing around" and exploring PCs further...

Cracking is useful when you forget that WPA2 network password...

Correct my English!

Command Prompt, perhaps?

Free, 24/7 telephone health advice service | Healthline - 0800 611 116

Smoking KILLS. Don't let your life be ruled by cigarettes. | Quitline - 0800 778 778 ‎

Join the unofficial PressF1 WCG team!

Learning a few programming languages would help.
    Then compiling and decompiling.
    wipe your paws.

if you are asking about hacking as in computer security...

A lot of it is about finding bugs and making them work for you.
    some of it is about tricking users into doing stupid things (social engineering)

depending on what you want to learn.....

look at hackerslab.org (you will need some unix skills)

or search google video for longer then 30 minutes on keywords:
    22c3 or 23c3
    blakhat
    defcon
    "Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer!"
    Grand Nagus - Zek

http://brightwork.wordpress.com/

Hacking 'in the media' typically refers to people who can slip into computers through a network.

But cracking DRM and software copy protection also constitutes 'hacking' i suppose.

The fact that you're even asking 'how do i hack the mainframe' i think makes you susceptible to someone who will 'teach you how to hack' and then end up making you a victim.

Depending on what kind of 'hacking' you want to do, if you want to go the internet route, you'll need something to 'hack'. If you want to go the DRM route, its best to learn about how they work. But first you need to decide what you want to do. Malicious or otherwise.

just quickly sticking my head in here on request, to outline briefly what you can and shouldn't discuss in these forums.

Hacking can be a great exercise, and doesn't limit itsself to security or even computers. I've successfully hacked my Canon camera into taking timelapse photos using a Canon devkit.

Using hacking to access areas you really shouldn't be in (use the common sense rule here) or accessing information you're not privy to by law, shouldn't really be discussed in here.

Using hacking to get the best out of a router, on the other hand, is knowledge that should be shared. Hacking can be a great deal of fun, and it doesn't have to involve illegal activities. Great to see who has tips on hacking in here btw, a great example is the DivX Connected box from Belkin, which wouldn't be half as good if it wasn't fort a community hacking the box.

So please avoid touching too many legal boundaries here, don't want any advice or talk on how to crack DRM (although i personally would like to banish DRM to the depths of hell) and copy protection. Also, no how-to's on hacking into your neighbours wifi or even computer.

On the lighter side - several places give suggestions, much like the others here have.

One I was looking at , the guy is a laugh.

From his Q/A
    Q:
    How can I get the password for someone else’s account?
    A:
    This is cracking. Go away, idiot.
    Q:
    How can I break into/read/monitor someone else’s email?
    A:
    This is cracking. Get lost, moron.
    Q:
    How can I steal channel op privileges on IRC?
    A:
    This is cracking. Begone, cretin.
    Q:
    I’m having problems with my Windows software. Will you help me?
    A:
    Yes. Go to a DOS prompt and type “format c:”. Any problems will disappear.
    Love the last one

For security "auditing" I recommend backtrack...been using it for ages and works great