Default Move old intranet to IIS7

I've got no web experience & want to move a school's 10 year old intranet off their 10 year old linux server onto their new server running IIS7 on Server 2008.

I have uploaded the main CGI file to http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/index.cgi.txt for anyone who wants to help.

It appears to be using a file as a database rather than some variant of SQL. I'm not sure what language it is in.
    Intel Core i5-3470 CPU
    8GB DDR3 RAM
    1TB HDD
    AMD Radeon HD 6870 graphics card
    Enermax Tomahawk II 500W PSU
    Antec 300 case
    Win7 Pro (Action Pack :D)

surprisingly quick even without an SSD

Default Re: Move old intranet to IIS7

Link's not working Greven??

Got a natural pearl in my calloused hand
    ...Saved for the girl who could really understand
    ......What it takes to see
    .........The gold from the alchemy

Quote Originally Posted by nofam View Post
    Link's not working Greven??
    try http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/index.txt

It appears to be Perl - I somehow skipped reading the first line before.
    Intel Core i5-3470 CPU
    8GB DDR3 RAM
    1TB HDD
    Antec 300 case

Eyes little bit glaze over when reading Perl.

Options:

1) get cgi and Perl modules installed and configured on IIS, then go through what appears to be *nix platform specific functions (eg checking for server uptime) and make them Windows friendly

2) Perhaps a better approach, given that you've changed plaforms/app servers, would be to rewrite the intranet app using ASP.Net/SQL Server, then it would have a more natural feel to be hosted on Windows/IIS.

If you have no web development experience, then either option is going to be tricky though.

The URL listed in that file (refering to a company called "WormHole Technology Limited") with an @simplicity.net.nz seems to be outdated. That domain now belongs to a company in the vending machine business.

The company itself still seems to exist (http://m.companies.govt.nz/companyDetails?id=1242114) - registered in Invercargill so you might want to pop in and say hi to the guy who wrote it, and whether a) the product still exists, and b) whether anyone still supports it.

I guess the most important thing for you at this point is to figure out what that old intranet actually does - because it might be difficult or time consuming to migrate it to a Windows environment. If the description here (http://www.business.auckland.ac.nz/c...=718&pageID=28) is correct, then it might be a Tomizone like service, used to keep tabs on how much internet kids are using up.

Edit: a more recent URL for this company (http://list.waikato.ac.nz/pipermail/...st/011961.html) also doesn't work.
    Any views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer or any affiliated 3rd party.

The guy is impossible to contact - we tried to contact him when the school changed their internet & email to go through schoolzone. Had to brush up on my linux knowledge for that one. The product hasn't been supported in years.

I thought it could be an interesting project, but sounds like it will need a major re-write. I'll let them know that they can keep it for as long as their pet dinosaur survives or contract a web dev company to re-write it.
    Last edited by Greven; 31-03-2009 at 06:37 PM.
    Intel Core i5-3470 CPU
    8GB DDR3 RAM
    1TB HDD
    Antec 300 case

Quote Originally Posted by Greven View Post
    The guy is impossible to contact - we tried to contact him when the school changed their internet & email to go through schoolzone. Had to brush up on my linux knowledge for that one. The product hasn't been supported in years.

I thought it could be an interesting project, but sounds like it will need a major re-write. I'll let them know that they can keep it for as long as their pet dinosaur survives or contract a web dev company to re-write it.
    Is it just a basic intranet? Or does it do some "other" stuff too, which ties in to the networking, proxying and so on?
    Any views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer or any affiliated 3rd party.

Quote Originally Posted by somebody View Post
    Is it just a basic intranet? Or does it do some "other" stuff too, which ties in to the networking, proxying and so on?
    The parts they use are very basic - they use it to post messages on the front page, have all the links the students need & a poll of the week. I think it also has a basic photo gallery that they use occasionally.
    Intel Core i5-3470 CPU
    8GB DDR3 RAM
    1TB HDD
    Antec 300 case

If you give up on the transferring idea have a look at Sharepoint Services, its free, designed to run on IIS and simple to setup and maintain.