Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Wanderer

Default Wireless doesn't work

Hi, I have had my Linksys ADSL router for 2yrs or more now. G version. One PC has a G series PCI card. A laptop has a ASUS G series PC Card.

I've always had the router upstairs in my room. The PC directly downstairs most times could get a connection. The laptop in the lounge could also.

I've relocated the router downstairs cos the tv and xbox are there. My PC directly upstairs now most of the time cannot get a connection, it says limited network connectivity, or cannot connect to access point, or connect to access point but no internet. Sometimes a reboot fixes it but when I put my mouse over it, I am getting a 1Mbit connection and it also says reception is very good. With that, opening a webpage even pc world or google can take me 10 minutes.

Before when router upstairs, the PC downstairs could get a 20-56Mbit connection.

Is it router upstairs better? Is wireless temperamental?

If I decide to wire the house with network cable, is there a limitation in the length? I mean to wire it up like a office. How all the bedrooms and the lounge have them.

Like before and like now, I have gone back to the router in my room so it can be connected by wire.

Cheers

Wanderer

Default Re: Wireless doesn't work

PS. Even right now with the router next to my PC, it says connection excellent, speed is 1.0Mbps.

It just updated itself saying, connected to access point and the internet. Just a moment ago, it said, connected to access point but cannot access the internet.

Wired would probably be better / more reliable than wireless

I'm using 35m to the bedroom here, its fine. It gets on the net, and file transfers work fine

What are you using for the wireless? WEP? WPA?

What about firewalls?

Wanderer

Firewall - ZA. Commodo or what was just too hard for me to use. Plus some software went via the cracks when I said don't access it.
    Security: WPA Personal, TKIP.

I would go into its options and see what you forgot to add. That may fix it

Do both support WPA personal ?
    Last edited by Speedy Gonzales; 15-03-2009 at 06:09 PM.

Wanderer

Nah .. just ZA now.
    Comodo was uninstalled long time ago.
    I have shutdown ZA and see if help but doesn't.

if ZA is playing up , shutting it down wont usually do any good, it will still be blocking.

Had that same problem several times, you have to uninstall ZA completely.

Sometimes ZA gets damaged and even then wont uninstall had that problem last week) once I used the Zone Alarm Removal tool from ZA's site - the network started working again.

If I decide to wire the house with network cable, is there a limitation in the length?
    100Mtrs it quite safe.

Regarding not being able to get on the Internet with the security - try turning off the security altogether ( as a test) see if it will connect with no security.
    If it connects with no security - try enabling at the lowest, then gradually increase until it stops again, then take 1 step back in the settings.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Try changing the wireless channel in your router's GUI and see if it makes difference.

And is your home phone close to your router? And is it using the same 2.4ghz frequency?

It may be interfering

Blam

Wanderer

Thanks, I give it a go.

We don't have wireless phones or anything else, bluetooth, keyb, mouse, nope.

Wanderer

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    if ZA is playing up , shutting it down wont usually do any good, it will still be blocking.

Had that same problem several times, you have to uninstall ZA completely.

Sometimes ZA gets damaged and even then wont uninstall had that problem last week) once I used the Zone Alarm Removal tool from ZA's site - the network started working again.

100Mtrs it quite safe.

Regarding not being able to get on the Internet with the security - try turning off the security altogether ( as a test) see if it will connect with no security.
    If it connects with no security - try enabling at the lowest, then gradually increase until it stops again, then take 1 step back in the settings.
    Still having issues. We don't have any wireless device apart from my cellphone, I don't even have a stereo remote here.

I have uninstalled ZA. Same thing.
    The thing is that the connections says excellent, 1.0Mbps.
    Then it drops out and Linksys utility says, connect to access point but no internet access. Then eventually it says cannot connect to access point. And, it goes into scanning mode and the windows icon puts a cross on the wireless connection.

I am using the laptop which is upstairs and further away.
    The PC that the issue is with, is directly upstairs.

Have tried numerous times restarting, least 5x.
    Sometimes a restart works and gets a connection from nil to 1.0Mbps but then a moment later it goes back to scanning mode.