Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bleakly Optomistic

Default Heating in an old Lockwood house

Since there's a little bogan on the way, I, okay, my wife, is on the hunt for some sort of heating in the rooms other than the living area. We have a nice fire place for that.

Does anybody here have experience with what we should be looking at?

Default Re: Heating in an old Lockwood house

As I have no idea how many rooms are in your dwelling and if you want to heat all of them I hesitate to give you an answer that will work for the bogan family.

Maybe get a heap of computers.
    Last edited by Sweep; 13-03-2009 at 06:50 PM.

Electric convector heaters are fast at heating up a room - that might be handy for a baby.
    Te audire no possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure.

Bleakly Optomistic

Quote Originally Posted by Sweep View Post
    As I have no idea how many rooms are in your dwelling and if you want to heat all of them I hesitate to give you an answer that will work for the bogan family.

Maybe get a heap of computers.
    After pointing out to the wife that there's 1500 watt power supplies, she did point out that the electric heaters are bugger all that... , and suggested that.

For you sweep, three other rooms, not all needing heated at the same time. one is 3m x 4m, the other two are about 4m x 5m. Ceiling height peaks about 3m, on approximately 30 degree angle. Hallway is a bloody big draft due to cat door. Toilet is heated fine once I've been in there for 2 minutes 17 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by the_bogan View Post
    After pointing out to the wife that there's 1500 watt power supplies, she did point out that the electric heaters are bugger all that... , and suggested that.

For you sweep, three other rooms, not all needing heated at the same time. one is 3m x 4m, the other two are about 4m x 5m. Ceiling height peaks about 3m, on approximately 30 degree angle. Hallway is a bloody big draft due to cat door. Toilet is heated fine once I've been in there for 2 minutes 17 seconds.
    Sigh. It takes me longer than 2 mins 17 seconds to read a newspaper. Make sure the cat door operates correctly. If the cat door is open on a permanent basis then you might consider changing your cat.

If the fireplace is a Visor (which was pretty standard in early Lockwoods) maybe you could give some thought to replacing it with an extra cat door They were not a paragon of efficiency at heating the room other than by a little radiated heat in front. I threw my visor out when I found it actually reduced the air temperature in the room! A pot belly stove was much better; with a wet back and recycled car radiator, it heated the hallway too.
    Entropy is not what
    it used to be.

Can't re Member

Are your floors insulated? - makes quite a diffence and usually easy to do yourself

Mixed Member

A Lockwood home should be fairly well insulated being built of timber and having interior timber walls.

The first thing to do is stop drafts. The best form of insulation is to stop losing the existing heat. The cat-door shouldn't be letting a draft in - have a talk with puss and check the magnets are still there to keep it closed.

We put a fan-assisted panel heater with thermostat in the baby's room which worked a treat. Beyond that heat pumps are all the rage and I have to say, worth the investment. But seal up all the drafts first. And check the wood-burner - might be no longer up to the job.

I bought a ducting system in the roof which takes the hot air above my fire place and moves it with a little fan to one of my kids room. That kid has asthma so I though he would appreciate the warmth in winter. Other kid misses out on heat but he hasnt got asthma.
    I just throw a few logs in fire before I go to bed.
    Its amazing how Potatoes give us chips,fries and Vodka.

Get your s*** together every other vegetable.

In winter we close off the spare rooms and leave the ones we use open. We close the curtains and light the fire and its all very cosy.
    The other rooms are not quite as warm as the lounge with the fireplace but they still warm up.
    We don't have any ducting arrangement but we do turn on the ceiling fan in the lounge.
    wipe your paws.