Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    samstationz

Angry laptop wont connect to wireless!

Someone help! I've tried desperately for hours trying to get this **** thing to work!

Got my new laptop yesterday, came with McAfee trial or something. I managed to get it connected to our wireless network (after realizing I had done a typo in the MAC address).

Anyway, today I downloaded Avast AntiVirus and Comodo Firewall, turned off the McAfee Firewall, now It will only connect to the Wireless with 'limited connectivity'. (meaning I cant go on the internet).

On this computer I'm on (wired to router, XP Home) its got Comodo Firewall 3.0 (havent updated it for a while). on my laptop (Vista Home Premium) i downloaded the latest one (3.8) and its heaps different I can figure it out.

Anyone help? I'm getting ****** frustrated and annoyed at it!

Thanks guys

Default Re: laptop wont connect to wireless!

Will it connect will all firewalls disabled? Usually youd only have one installed anyway

If its the same prob as this

You should add it to the above thread. So we know what we've already told you

And uninstall Comodo or Mcafee, if both are installed. They'll conflict
    Last edited by Speedy Gonzales; 08-03-2009 at 11:59 PM.

New thread means more views so more chance of help

Anyways reading what you have in your other thread...

I doubt itl be the firmware on your router, might help but it should connect fine.
    I've also come across cases where the router is setup to block all connections except ones on the allowed list. Can't remember how it was configured but is it possible you have something like that enabled?

Well no new thread means people will probably tell you what they've already said. And you'll go round in circles. And you'll be there forever trying to get things to work

I've requested a merge
    Last edited by Speedy Gonzales; 09-03-2009 at 12:08 AM.

samstationz

Sorry guys yea I should have put it in the other thread. this is a different problem though.

I've disabled Windows Firewall, McAfee Firewall, and I think I disabled the Comodo one (not sure as its confusing to use). still won't connect.

I've removed the network from Comodo's allow list, and then tried to connect again, then Comodo comes up with the window 'New Private Network Detected!' but whatever I do (whether I give it a name and/or select the Trust option or just close it), it still won't connect.

I always access the router via the Wired PC. Yes I have configured it to only allow access to computers specified on the MAC address list, and I have added the laptops MAC to that list, it worked yesterday and it worked today (thats how I downloaded Comodo) but ever since I started up Comodo it hasnt been able to connect to the network properly.

I've tried (in Comodo>Firewall>Network Zones) removing the network from the network zones list, tried using the MAC address instead of the IP, tried the routers IP on its own, tried it with the laptops IP, tried with the laptops MAC, still nothing.

And whats different from the other thread??

Sounds like the same prob to me

Uninstall Mcafee, dont just disable it, and then turn windows firewall off

samstationz

well no in the last thread then I only had McAfee. and the reason i couldnt connect to the wireless was because I typed the MAC address wrong. this time its different.

Ok i will try uninstall McAfee completely and disable windows firewall and let you know what happens.

also, when that permission window comes up on my laptop, it shows the IP address of the laptop is this what it should do? I would have thought it would be the IP of the router coz thats what its trying to connect to.

What ip did you give this laptop that doesnt work??

Is the SSID and channel on it (for the wireless) the same as whats in the router?

Has it got the same workgroup name as the others (that do work)?

Its probably something small, since it worked with Mcafee. Until you stuffed it up by installing Comodo

samstationz

I didnt give it an IP it just made its own one. I'm at work at the mo so I cant check it till I get home but I'll find out. I'll just uninstall both McAfee and Comodo then re-install Comodo. and yes i used the same work group name. I'll compare it to the other lapto (although that is running AVG AV+Firewall but I can probably compare it with the wired desktop as well as that has got Comodo)