Default Setting up wireless internet connection

Ok, so my mum went ahead and got a phone/internet package from talk talk despite me wanting to check things out first. So she got a neighbour to upgrade her pc to windows xp, got the wireless modem(router) package from talk talk but as I suspected her REALLY OLD pc doesnt have the correct socket (is that the ethernet socket??) for the talk talk stuff. Now I was thinking that I could go buy her a wireless usb adapter but I seem to think that you still need to physically connect the modem(router) for the initial installation??

Sorry for the appauling use of terminology.

Any help would be appreciated.

Default Re: Setting up wireless internet connection

You do not need an etho socket on the box for wireless.All that goes on the PC is a USB plug in receiver.The connection from the PC to the router is wireless unless you want to connect by cable.
    PUPPY LINUX 5.2

Default Re: Setting up wireless internet connection

Depends what you mean by wireless

There's wireless internet (you dont use a phone), but you need a modem, so you can connect to the net wirelessly.

Or wireless, as in a wireless modem/router (which also uses ethernet). This usually gets connected to a computer (the main computer), using an ethernet cable.

And you can connect computers to it (using the 4 ethernet ports on it). If its got ports.

And the wireless on it, can be used by people, who use laptops / desktops (that have wireless/WI-FI adapters) on them. You can connect to it wirelessly, so you can get onto the internet. If you dont have the 1st wireless (youre using a phone), then you dont need a USB wireless adapter (if there's only one computer in the house)

You need an ethernet cable (and obviously a network card, on your computer, to plug it into)
    Last edited by Speedy Gonzales; 06-03-2009 at 09:06 AM.