Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: PC World Forums

Default Re: PC World Forums

Hey guys,

sorry I haven't been visibly active here on the forums of late, you have to believe me when I say I share your concerns for the site.

What I can tell you that we ARE working on a plan to make Press F1 what it once was, light on ads and heavy on help and community.

One downside to working in a huge company such as Fairfax is that sometimes decisions like this take time. I'm definitely on your side, and I fully echo Metla's sentiments on the previous page.

I think the best solution with complaints might be to email me at: jan@pcworld.co.nz . This way I can corral all the complaints and pass them on to the right people.

Something will be done about the current state of the forums, there's a few of us working behind the scenes to get it done quickly, and you'll be the first to know when it eventuates.

In the meantime, email complaints to me, great if you can put in specifically what makes the forums worse (adservers, the ads themselves etc). again, jan@pcworld.co.nz is where you should direct the complaints. The more I get in my inbox the bigger bargaining tool I have

Damn to late - better ask Ted for the Email I just sent.

Jan - you want a bigger bargaining tool ?

Theres the hammer in my sig, and I'm sure metla has a few he can lend you as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Peterj116 View Post
    Firefox, Adblock Plus, turn off images.

Works for me.
    Quite agree, Peter.

I was at a loss to understand what the fuss was about. I too, use Firefox Adblock Plus and because of that excellent tool I was not aware (and am still not aware) of these offending ads as I do not see them.

Frankly, I'm surprised at the complaint. Many of the people who joined in the chorus of complaints know much more about PCs, and therefore I would have thought, blocking ads, than I do. I can't understand why everyone would not have ad blocking in place. It can't be difficult - even I have it.
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

Us husbands are a sorry lot.

Correct my English!

Roscoe: The argument here is that why do we need to resort to blocking ads in order to properly view the forum?

Free, 24/7 telephone health advice service | Healthline - 0800 611 116

Smoking KILLS. Don't let your life be ruled by cigarettes. | Quitline - 0800 778 778 ‎

Join the unofficial PressF1 WCG team!

It's just the nature of free message boards.

Unless you want to start paying for them (open cup-holder, insert Visa card, close cup-holder and press the Any key) you're going to encounter ads.

I couldn't imagine using this forum without adblock- I wouldn't bother coming here without it.
    Too Stupid to Understand Science? Try Religion.

Quote Originally Posted by Peterj116 View Post
    It's just the nature of free message boards.

Unless you want to start paying for them (open cup-holder, insert Visa card, close cup-holder and press the Any key) you're going to encounter ads.
    Can't say I agree with that statement, I belong to many other forums and I haven't paid to belong to one yet, and you aren't showed with obnoxious ads.
    Too Stupid to Understand Science? Try Religion.

Yes its just the number of them, and the time they take to load that annoys me.

And more importantly its EVERY TIME you go to a new page ! or make a thread, or read a message.
    So what colour is your Adkaf?
    Have you joined Proud to Be Kiwi yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Jamuz View Post
    Roscoe: The argument here is that why do we need to resort to blocking ads in order to properly view the forum?
    Jamuz: I do not resort to blocking ads to view the forum ad free, I use the ad block for all the sites I visit. It is operational all the time and so I could not tell you which sites have ads and which don't because I don't see any of them.

But I do understand what you mean, but then I would have thought that ad blocking was almost as necessary as, say, a spam filter. Not everybody sends spam to your inbox but you scan all the email anyway. Makes sense as you don't where and/or when the spam is coming from. Same with ads, I would have thought.
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

Us husbands are a sorry lot.

Me

I too gave up, until I started using Firefox and Adblock.
    Now no problems thank the lord.