Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Prisms in glasses

I went to see the optometrist today to get my eyes checked, as I've noticed things are getting a bit blurry. I've worn glasses since I was very young, so I figured that my vision was just getting worse. I already have very bad short sightedness, and some fairly significant astigmatism - so working in the IT industry certainly doesn't help.

What the optometrist found was that my eyes don't work together too well, and naturally like to move apart slightly - meaning that I am straining the muscles in my eyes to make them focus on an object. Her suggestion was that they can use prisms in the lenses to help bend the light so that my eyes can sit at a more "relaxed" position for longer, meaning they'll be more comfortable and hopefully able to adjust their focus better.

Has anyone else had these sort of lenses fitted in their glasses, and if so, how have you found them?
    Any views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer or any affiliated 3rd party.

Default Re: Prisms in glasses

My better half has that sort of problem with her right eye, lazy muscles or something - if she takes off her glasses, the right eye shoots over to the right hand side of the eye socket- the left Eye is straight ahead

when she has her glasses on both eyes are as they are meant to be.

Its damn freaky if shes sitting there without glasses and looking at something straight ahead you'd swear she was looking at ya with her right eye - but shes not

No Idea what type of glass is used,( even she doesn't know - I asked ) but I think it would be something similar.

Correct my English!

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    right eye, lazy muscles or something
    Nearly got it right! It is called "lazy eye"

somebody:

Did the optometrist tell you the name of the eye syndrome? (I suspect no) [edit: Looked something like this? Attached file: image.jpg (44 KB)]
    Did he or she give you any other choices besides wearing the prisms?

[Edit: I think it is called Fresnel prism]

Cheers
    Last edited by Renmoo; 26-02-2009 at 08:09 PM.

Free, 24/7 telephone health advice service | Healthline - 0800 611 116

Smoking KILLS. Don't let your life be ruled by cigarettes. | Quitline - 0800 778 778 ‎

Join the unofficial PressF1 WCG team!

My eye isn't quite that bad - it's very minor, but they suggested it was probably worth doing.
    Any views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer or any affiliated 3rd party.

I have had a prism in one contact lens. However I think the purpose of that was to weight the lens so that it always sat the same way in my eye, with the prism at the bottom. That way it corrected the worsening astigmatism in that eye.

I think the alternative to using prisms in your situation is an operation to tie the muscles controlling the eyes to each other - that way when the dominant eye (if there is one) moves, it takes the other one with it. That was done to my niece, who is blind in one eye - the blind eye was "lazy" and it wandered alarmingly (that is, for people watching her). Tying it into the sighted eye stopped that happening for many years, but it "loosens up" after some years, and it probably should be done again.
    Last edited by John H; 26-02-2009 at 09:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John H View Post
    I have had a prism in one contact lens. However I think the purpose of that was to weight the lens so that it always sat the same way in my eye, with the prism at the bottom. That way it corrected the worsening astigmatism in that eye.

I think the alternative to using prisms in your situation is an operation to tie the muscles controlling the eyes to each other - that way when the dominant eye (if there is one) moves, it takes the other one with it. That was done to my niece, who is blind in one eye - the blind eye was "lazy" and it wandered alarmingly (that is, for people watching her). Tying it into the sighted eye stopped that happening for many years, but it "loosens up" after some years, and it probably should be done again.
    Thanks John.

Or do nothing and end up looking like this :
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a99_feldman.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	16.9 KB 
ID:	180  

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument. -William G. McAdoo, lawyer and politician (1863-1941)

I always thought he prisms were to correct an astigmatism. But probably not.

I used to havethe old cokebottle styled classes up until the late 90's, these has prisms to force my eyes to work together.

As I understood it, they could put weights in contacts to correct a lens misshape, but you lost the benefits of prisms by moving to contacts (talking disposable ones). As that wasn't a technology available in contact lenses.

At the same time as getting the new contacts I got a new pair of glasses, without prisms. Seems that my eyes had corrected themselves, got stronger, however you want to put it.

Quote Originally Posted by somebody View Post
    I already have very bad short sightedness, and some fairly significant astigmatism - so working in the IT industry certainly doesn't help.
    So do I.
    Whats IT got to do with it?
    In fact with our sight, we have brilliant close up vision, and I can look at the worst refresh rate, crappy CRT all day and it will never bother me.

Ask your optician that. He/she will tell you.
    wipe your paws.

Yeah I had a female flatmate like that whose eyes looked like they were looking at you but weren't when she took her coke bottle bottom glasses off.
    My other flatmate would get get his you know what out and without glasses she couldn't even see properly to the other side of the lounge. She wondered why I was crumpled up on the floor laughing my stomach out.
    Its amazing how Potatoes give us chips,fries and Vodka.

Get your s*** together every other vegetable.