Default Multiple Monitors

I have a Toshiba Tecra 8000 running 2000 that I would like to run into a data projector. I want to run Powerpoint with the operator's screen on the laptop and the audience view on the projector.

When I access Help, it says to connect the monitor, turn on the laptop and 2000 will detect the projector, which it does and the desktop is displayed on the projector and the laptop screen is blank.

I should then open Display and on the Setting tab, click the monitor icon that represents the monitor you want to use in addition to your primary monitor.

Unfortunately, on the Settings tab there is only one monitor icon and below that it lists the name of the default monitor but nothing else. Clicking on it has no effect.

I would like to know where to find the extra monitor icon so I can use the laptop for a Powerpoint presentation. It seems that the laptop is capable because of the results I have had so far, but a blank laptop screen is of little use, eh?

Thanks for your help.
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

Us husbands are a sorry lot.

Default Re: Multiple Monitors

There is a hotkey on your laptop-Fn+F5 I think for most toshiba laptops, that allow you to change from external monitor output only, or both external and laptop screen/monitor

Blam

Blam:

Thanks for your advice. I did not know about that key. Unfortunately, it does not do what I want.

Booted up and opened Powerpoint presentation. When using the Fn+F5, I have one of three options. Either operator's view on laptop and projector, operator's view on the projector or operator's view on the laptop. What I require is operator's view on the laptop and presentation on the projector - multiple monitors. Trouble is, I can't find our where to turn on the multiple monitors. As I explained in my first post, it says in Help what to do but the monitor icon that it speaks of does not appear to exist. Not certain what to do now. he cries, desperately.

Floundering around, I thought that I would look to see what Device Manager says. It tells me under Display adapters, that there is only one and under Monitors there is only the Default Monitor.

Is there somewhere we can go to enable another monitor?

I went through this process a few years back and the key to having separate displays (as opposed to duplicates) is two independent video cards. I was looking for it for my Toshiba Portege notebook and I think the laptop technology is called twin-head or similar.

Look at it the same way you would a desktop, two independent displays requires two video cards. One video output cannot provide independent displays, only the same display on two screens.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)
    Last edited by Billy T; 27-01-2009 at 08:10 PM.
    Some days it's not even worth chewing through my restraints!

Billy: There is a serial cable outlet which I can connect to the projector and I thought that might mean that I could run two monitors.

I have the same display on both screens so is it safe to assume that I need another video card which has two outputs? If that is so, I imagine that most computer stores would have such a card?

Not for a laptop...but yes for a desktop.

You could try those USB to VGA things