Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Motorbike advice

I'm going to buy a motorbike. I've only ever ridden a bike once, around a padock on a 550xl Honda. My brother advises me to get a small 250 to learn with. Ok.

But... ultimately I want a road machine to commute around town, perhaps a 750 or maybe 900 Honda, to go up and down occasionaly between Napier and Auckland.

Any suggestions?

I know there are a few good biker contributers here, so please give some advice.

Cheers,
    G
    Bugger the cancer. I'm suffering from terminal inertia.

Default Re: Motorbike advice

Hi Greg,
    I totally agree with your brother, it is the best way to get 250cc first before jump on the bigger bike
    I recommend you to join http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/, it's a great forum for motorcycling
    Showcasing The Best New Zealand Websites 79 websites and growing. care to help?

Hi Grey

I would agree my brother has a 4 stroke 250c honda vtr nice bike for the money

I'm also pretty sure if you don't have a license you have to get a 250cc anyway
    E8400 @ 4.6Ghz W/C
    4G Ram?
    2x 4850 / 750w
    EP45-ds4P
    Armor Case

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

Im with Cascade, sign up at Kiwibiker, and start at 250cc then work your way up

Ive still got my 225cc yamaha SX-4W, can get my Full in 2 months so Im hanging for it!
    Unfortunately I have a wedding to plan / pay for so I doubt I'll be getting anything bigger any time soon That said, hopefully I'll get more joy outta the wedding
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

RF900.

I don't agree with the 250 theory, Unless its for a kid and its a very low powered 250.

If you have the mentality to get yourself killed then it won't matter how many cc is has, and in most cases your much safer on a bike with a bit of torque, plus of course they are far more enjoyable to ride.

Having said that, I've been riding since I was 7 so I don't really know what it feels like for a beginner to get a bike and hit the road.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=197569134
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rf900.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	113  
    Last edited by Metla; 16-01-2009 at 08:12 AM.
    better Dredd then dead

http://www.suzukigsxr.org/suzuki_gsxr_1300_hayabusa.php

should be a good road machine

ill take one when i win lotto
    "Your glass is empty O'Flaherty, will you be having another?"
    "And why would I be wanting two empty glasses?" replied O'Flaherty.

PC Specs

Done a few miles on a Hayabusa, Stunning, can't even put it into words, Though I was so weary of what it could do I moved on...Getting thrown down the road at 300km/h wouldn't be much fun.
    better Dredd then dead

ive got a long time before im even considered mature enough to even touch one let alone use it

but from what ive seen and heard its wel worth the wait

a group os nutcases over in the states put the enignes in those horrible little smart cars

it turns them in to mass doughnut makers - the small sheelbase lets them just spin round and round on the spot its unreal
    "Your glass is empty O'Flaherty, will you be having another?"
    "And why would I be wanting two empty glasses?" replied O'Flaherty.

PC Specs

Wellington, ya just can't beat it on a good day!

I got meself a little Yamaha Scorpio (250cc) a year ago. I hadn't been on a bike for about 20 something years. The first few rides were a bit nerve wracking!!

I bought it mainly for the work commute, now about 15 min door to door as opposed to 45 min on the bus, so its perfect for that.
    So I think I agree with a few others - start little until you feel comfortable.
    "Happiness is not having what you want, it's wanting what you have..."

Bikes are a hell of a lot of fun - and like all good things, can be seriously bad for your health (physical health that is - they're brilliant for yor mental health!), if misused or used carelessly.

Metla's right (as usual!) - doesn't matter how big the engine is, if you're an idiot, you'll be as dead or maimed riding a 125 as riding an 1100.

The only downside I found riding bikes was that you automatically become a revenue producing source for the government: huge (unfairly so, since most accidents with motorcycles a caused by 4-wheeled vehicles) ACC levies, a target for the Police to pull you over and issue tickets and insurance is outrageous.

I'd love to get another bike - I rode little bikes (185 to 250cc) from 16 to age 23, then moved up to 650 and 900cc up to age 30 (much as a motorcycle courier, in London and Auckland) - but my 14-year-old son is impressionable and has little road sense as yet, so I don't want to give him an excuse to buy a bike ("You've got one, Dad, so why can't I?") until he's been driving a few years. So I've got another 4-5 years before I can go back to 2-wheeled, motorised fun....

If you don't already have a bike licence, you won't legally be allowed to ride anything larger than a 250 (which is dumb, because a lot of 250s can do some serious speed these days!), but when you do get your full licence, a big four is definitely the way to go if you are planning Napier-Auckland-Napier trips. Anything smaller than a 750 on a long trip will be very tiring (buzzy, high-revving), whereas 750 and above, very smooth and effortless. Nice to give the throttle just a wee twist and rocket past a line of slow moving traffic...

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument. -William G. McAdoo, lawyer and politician (1863-1941)