Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Has Xtra got it's act together (BROADBAND)?

Xtra has had a poor showing in the various Consumer surveys as a BROADBAND provider. Has it improved since then eg in the last few months?

Default Re: Has Xtra got it's act together (BROADBAND)?

Been the same as always. I get disconnected a few times every week, especially at night.

Oh, and after Feb (28 I think?) all ISPs will be crap thanks to Section 92.
    Meh....

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

Nope, Xtra still suck by-and-large

That said, they have a pretty good bang-for-buck plan, similar to Orcons Silver plan
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

I have no problems with Xtras helpdesk and response (apart from wating in a queue waiting) but do have problems with the broadband speed
    My original speed was 3100-3200 kbps in November 2001
    As more users came on board, by 2007 my Speed dropped to 900-950kbps
    After lots of complaining and some cable shifting by an understanding Telecom tech, they got my speed up to 1600kbps
    In Nov 2008 I upgraded to an ADSL2+ router which got my speeds up to 1900kbps.
    I am at the limit(4.5ks) from an exchange and was the only broadband user in the area for a long time.
    The constant degredation in speed is my biggest issue. I am told that there is to be a new "Green" box at the top of my street which should increase my speed dramatically. That does not happen utill the end of 2009.
    I have spoken to other ISPs and none will state that they will increase my speed.

Rock and hard place??

HH
    Nothing shows a manís character more than what he laughs at.

check out the upcoming issue of PCWorld

Quote Originally Posted by Billy View Post
    Xtra . Has it improved since then eg in the last few months?
    The paper today reports they were so happy with their call centre "trial" in Manila they going to sack the rest of the NZers and move it all there.

But don't worry, they get 2 weeks of Conversational English lessons before assisting you with your technical and other problems.
    wipe your paws.

Quote Originally Posted by pctek View Post
    The paper today reports they were so happy with their call centre "trial" in Manila they going to sack the rest of the NZers and move it all there.

But don't worry, they get 2 weeks of Conversational English lessons before assisting you with your technical and other problems.
    Although I'm completley against employing overseas labour for NZ helpdesks, Xtra's helpdesk has been very good the last few times I've called them.

Took less than 2 mins to be talking to a human, and as long as you sound like you know whats what its pretty straight fowrard.

Their capability to actually help someone is next to nothing, but when you tell them to reset that password and create that account, its very quick.
    Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

I'm about 3.5-4km away allegedly, and after an episode not unlike HH (got dedicated jack with signal already split), I am happy to say on ADSL1 I get around 3.9Mb down, 740Kb up
    HOME-LianLi PC-9F,ASRock P67Pro3, i5 2500k @4Ghz, 8Gb HyperX, ASUS GTX660 OC, Corsair Force 120 SSD, HP zIPS22", HOME SERVER HP ML110G6 HOST-Plex\Ubuntu\8

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

The "Green Boxes" are good, however from what I understand they only 'repeat' the signal (Acting as a booster?) back to the local Exchange? So whilst it'll help those a long-distance from the exchange, thats *all* it'll help? Is that correct?
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

1.The green boxes are optically connected, as I understand it. They are more than relay stations using copper circuits. We have one down the road and I get pretty good speeds much of the time.
    2.I find speaking slowly helps with the off-shore help screen persons, my problem is understanding what they say and I have been known to apologise for our New Zealand dialect, which is not what they are taught!