Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Windows 7 - Why bother ?

Steve Ballmer's keynote speech

"But Windows 7 aims to resolve many problems PC users had with Vista. For instance, Microsoft pledges to make it easier to install peripheral devices and to have the software pump out fewer annoying warnings and notifications."

That does not sound like a new OS to me !

Where are the new features ?

Is the kernel smaller ?

Sounds more like a Vista SP to me.
    So what colour is your Adkaf?
    Have you joined Proud to Be Kiwi yet?

Default Re: Windows 7 - Why bother ?

Early indications suggest that it's much faster than Vista, and has had a lot of UI features added which wouldn't typically be in a SP.
    Any views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer or any affiliated 3rd party.

Smiling Down On Youse SurferJoe46's Avatar

I disagree about more speed etc.

Preliminary results are that it is somewhat slower since it's also moribund with code like all it's predecessors. I think I posted an article on the speed - or LACK of speed problems - with it.

< edit > I found it:

-- Attempts to upgrade from XP were met by a warning that: "To upgrade to Windows 7, the computer needs to be running Vista with Service Pack 1 (SP1) or later. Upgrading from Windows XP to any edition of Windows 7 is not supported;"

-- On the same PC test bed, performance measured by Primate Labs' Geekbench 2.1 benchmarking software indicates that performance deteriorates slightly on the same PC from Windows XP to Windows Vista Ultimate to Windows 7 Ultimate;

-- Once Vista SP1 is installed and running, the upgrade from Vista Ultimate to Windows 7 Ultimate took an hour and 16 minutes. It is an extremely smooth upgrade -- something that could be a relief to a channel and a market that suffered extreme headaches in trying to go from XP to Vista. Compared to complaints from the market during previous OS upgrades, Vista-to-Windows 7 is a breeze, introduces subtle-but-nice interface changes and provides refreshingly strong support for several basic drivers and applications.

Our test bed was built with an AMD (NYSE:AMD) Phenom 9550 Quad-Core processor at 2.20GHz, 4 GB of RAM, an Nvidia (NSDQ:NVDA) 6100 nForce 4300 card. In our upgrade from Vista Ultimate to Windows 7 Ultimate, we included, among other applications, Firefox 3.0,Google (NSDQ: GOOG) Chrome and Safari browsers; Microsoft Office 2007; WordPerfect Office X4; Skype; the Digsby IM client; a FireFox plug-in, Ubiquity; and a new, free application made available this week, from Tech Smith, called "Jing," which provides for image and video desktop screen captures. Adobe Flash player was also on the Vista system.
    Last edited by SurferJoe46; 11-01-2009 at 07:03 AM.

Warum werden wir so früh alt und klug so spät?

Quote Originally Posted by SurferJoe46 View Post
    I disagree about more speed etc.

Preliminary results are that it is somewhat slower since it's also moribund with code like all it's predecessors. I think I posted an article on the speed - or LACK of speed problems - with it.

< edit > I found it:
    http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=3236&page=2
    Any views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer or any affiliated 3rd party.

I'll wait for the full release before deciding whether to upgrade from XP as all these betas aren't the full release how can you be 100% certain the final will be like the beta

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

Yup, sounds like SP2 was for XP, just a big patch with the security center and things, many fixes ...

Will be sticking with my XP / Linux wherever possible
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

There are a lot of changes to the UI - tidying up stuff which was never "vista-fied" properly. The Control Panel and various aspects of system-related "stuff" has been made more consistent with the rest of the OS, and (in theory) made easier to use.

Have any of you Vista-haters used Vista or 7 as your main OS for more than a day?

Might be time for a second look
    "I would tell you a UDP joke but you might not get it."

South Seas Parrothead Twelvevolts's Avatar

No hurry - Vista is working just fine for me and we're even getting it at work shortly as well. Still have one old PC on XP but like the PC, it looks a bit old and tired these days. I'm sure I'll go out and get 7 when it comes out, never understood this desire to stay with the old, always want to try the new stuff myself.

No I couldn't be bothered to upgrade from XP as it does everything I need it to do and why would I spend money just to upgrade when I don't need to. I have used Vista on other machines and yes it's nice to look at and use but it didn't offer me anything that I don't already have. I will check out 7 when I get the chance but it will need to be significantly better than XP to make me spend the money before XP is discontinued with support and then I might switch full time to Linux