Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu SLOW?!?

Arrrr! Im a Pirate! ZapperBoy10647's Avatar

Default Ubuntu SLOW?!?

Hi this is joe aka zapperboy and im currently using ubuntu as a live install or w/e and its way slower than windows? is this because its coming from the cd or what? can someone help me out. ill be checking this post every few minutes im just testing ubuntu now...
    thanks joe
    Desktop:AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane\4GB(2GBx2) DDR2-800 PC2-6400 CL5-5-5-15 G.Skill RAM\Galaxy GeForce 9800GT 512MB 256bit LPE\Asus M2N-MX SE Plus\Silverstone ST50EF 500w 38A PSU\Asus DVD-RAM Lightscribe O/D\Western Digital Caviar 320GB 16MB HDD

Default Re: Ubuntu SLOW?!?

Slower in what way? If its loading/bootup then I would say its the CD. I have minimal experience with live CDs except for virtualisation, sorry.

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

Yeah basically coz its loading off CD its gonna be slower
    Not only is everything compressed on the Disc, but its not specifically in sequential order either ...

Basically, do an install and the speed issues will be gone

The LiveCD isnt for everyday use, more so you can get a little bit of a feel for it, see if it might suit you, make sure your hardware is supported, then to help you with a full install.

If you want a faster Live distro, try putting Ubuntu on a Thumbdrive
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

Ok i restarted lol i want to play wow. ubuntu need alot of downloads if i ever install cuz it doesnt play mp3's or online videos etc
    Desktop:AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane\4GB(2GBx2) DDR2-800 PC2-6400 CL5-5-5-15 G.Skill RAM\Galaxy GeForce 9800GT 512MB 256bit LPE\Asus M2N-MX SE Plus\Silverstone ST50EF 500w 38A PSU\Asus DVD-RAM Lightscribe O/D\Western Digital Caviar 320GB 16MB HDD

It should if you install the programs for MP3 and video

Declaring open season

When it wants to do downloads after install, it's primarily to bring it up to speed with any updates made to the 20k+ packages that make up Ubuntu since the CD ISO was made. Linux development moves at a very snappy pace.

Try Puppy or Damn small Linux they load from the CD also but being so small run entirely from the RAM on your pc so run soo much faster

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

Basically it needs to download the Codecs in order to play back MP3's / h.264 videos etc

Ubuntu doesnt ship with them pre-installed due to legal reasons

If you have it installed its just a once-off process that you never need to worry about again
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

Ok fair enuf. it downloaded some updates and all i had to do was install but i didnt want to screw around with my xp @ the same time..... so basicaly install within windows and create its own partition?..... will it do this automaticaly or will i have to get software? if so what software?

I'm probably the #1 Linux Noob and i installed it successfully on my Toshiba Tecra M5 Laptop.

Installed as a dual boot with XP. Install VLC player for Linux and youll play pretty much all the media you usually play in Windows. Theres a software manager built in which you can use to install programs from either within Ubuntu or it will download them for you.

Wireless networking worked immediately for me and it was easy to set up my network so i could access all my media on the laptop.

I like the look and feel of Ubuntu, nice that it has Firefox built in. Installed a standalone flash package so can watch all flash video sites fine. Still getting used to it but it's a nice alternative. It does require a lot of reading up on (well for me anyway).

I do all my workhorse stuff (eg audio/video editing ) in XP and do most of my surfing, youtubing in Ubuntu.

Hope it works for you

Cheers

Term X.