Default Costing Decorating

A friend is considering going into business doing decorating. I suggested using a spreadsheet or similar for costing purposes but despite googling etc have not been able to find one.
    I could produce one myself but feel that the exercise must have been done already thousands of times. Better than I could do it.
    Can anybody recommend one - must be very simple and cheap (pref free).

Default Re: Costing Decorating

Cash book has quotes invoices based on MS Access acclaim.co.nz.
    Free for a month then 150 to stop pop ups well worth it
    Its amazing how Potatoes give us chips,fries and Vodka.

Get your s*** together every other vegetable.

Come on. DIY.
    Its not hard. I use Excel for everything.
    wipe your paws.

Off the top of my head the IRD website has an example of a cashbook- linked to their "smart tax" guide and their GST guide. Otherwise any excel spreadsheet can be constructed.

Which reminds me, they should also employ a decent bookkeeper/ accountant to do their tax returns unless they know enough to do it themselves...

I agree that DIY is the obvious way to go. But I'm too lazy - I just reckoned it must have been done literally thousands of times already so why should I reinvent the wheel?
    The idea is a SS that when input with room sizes - labour costs etc could give a good estimate of the final cost.
    I will use MSWORKS 1997 as I find this is so much faster than office - much easier to understand and much easier to use. It also does some things Office cannot. But then my old DOS spreadsheet - still in use does things none of MS products can do. Such is life.

My father has been in the decorating business for over 25yrs, I spent a good couple as a brush hand with him.

I would advise against time sucking costing exercises as most jobs are different....and need an expericenced paint to gauged how much time is required for cleaning\surface prep\number of coats required etc.....

Frankly, for a one man band I fail to see the sense in an automated process unless you are looking at 1 painter going around costings for a large group of painters....
    HOME-LianLi PC-9F,ASRock P67Pro3, i5 2500k @4Ghz, 8Gb HyperX, ASUS GTX660 OC, Corsair Force 120 SSD, HP zIPS22", HOME SERVER HP ML110G6 HOST-Plex\Ubuntu\8

Quote Originally Posted by SolMiester View Post
    My father has been in the decorating business for over 25yrs, I spent a good couple as a brush hand with him.

I would advise against time sucking costing exercises as most jobs are different....and need an expericenced paint to gauged how much time is required for cleaning\surface prep\number of coats required etc.....

Frankly, for a one man band I fail to see the sense in an automated process unless you are looking at 1 painter going around costings for a large group of painters....
    That looks like damn good advice and in fact I was already wondering if a computer would be more of a hindrance under these circumstances.
    It does mean that I can let the matter rest and have an easy conscience.
    Thanks Solmeister