Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PCW ISP Survey

Default PCW ISP Survey

Hi guys,

in conjunction with an upcoming story on ISP's, we're running a survey on how happy you are with your current provider.

The Survey can be found here:
    http://www.fairfaxbm.tx.co.nz/surveys/isp_pcw_2008.html

I also encourage you to use this thread if you have any comments about your ISP. We might use some of your comments for the article, in this case you'll be contacted via PM and asked permission, as well as your full name and location.

Please pass the link on to friends and family, we're very interested in hearing from people on dial-up as well.

The survey will run until the 5th of January.
    get surveying
    Last edited by Jan Birkeland; 19-12-2008 at 10:14 AM.

Default Re: PCW ISP Survey

I've been with Woosh (in Auckland, the wireless version) for the last four years on 'nearly Broadband'. I recently swapped to Telecom for a wired BB solution (20GB a month), but kept the Woosh account open on a much reduced cap.

Just bought a new laptop and found that the Woosh PC Card will not fit in the PCMCIA slot (the slot in the new machine is a different shape) - rang Woosh who advised they have no replacement PC Card available and no intentions of being able to supply a new PC Card in the future as they will be rolling out WiMax 'next year'.

Bye bye Woosh! Convenient as it was to access the Internet nearly anywhere in Auckland (even at Woosh speeds!), I can't justify spending $25 a month for no service. (I was offered the USB modem solution - but that isn't convenient...) I will just have to use WiFi where I can instead...

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument. -William G. McAdoo, lawyer and politician (1863-1941)

TelstraClear BB has been excellent. We have had it for about 2 years and have had very little downtime.

When we moved Telstra quickly got us reconnected and we were online again.

Thanks Telstra 10/10
    "I would tell you a UDP joke but you might not get it."

Xnet.

Speed is poor, In fact, Crap. Looking to move.
    better Dredd then dead

ihug. Been awesome, spare the daily 2GB cap.
    "He who resorts to personal insults hath lost the argument."

Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Metla View Post
    Xnet.

Speed is poor, In fact, Crap. Looking to move.
    Im getting the opposite

I usually get 10mbps
    Corsair Carbide Series® 500R,Intel i5 2500k,P8Z77V-Pro, 12GB DDR-1333MHZ ram, Asus DVD writer, Radeon Sapphire r9 270X 3GB , Windows 8 -64 Bit

Is it me or do you feel ever since telecom was unbundled broadband is still expensive and the improvement in terms of speed and pricing is still extremely slow?
    Corsair Carbide Series® 500R,Intel i5 2500k,P8Z77V-Pro, 12GB DDR-1333MHZ ram, Asus DVD writer, Radeon Sapphire r9 270X 3GB , Windows 8 -64 Bit

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjabear View Post
    Is it me or do you feel ever since telecom was unbundled broadband is still expensive and the improvement in terms of speed and pricing is still extremely slow?

Whoever said it was going to be cheaper. I always thought it would be the same or even more expensive in pricing, as it is expensive for ISPs to do what telecom are doing. These ISPs who lobbied the governemnt to unbundle always told the government that unbundling would lead to more competition, but when it came down to it, they haven't put their money where their mouth is and made broadband more affordable. One of the most vocal ISPs who were one of the biggest supporters of unbundling at the time, so they could install their own equipment, aren't even doing unbundling, but are reselling another ISPs unbundled services .

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjabear View Post
    Im getting the opposite

I usually get 10mbps
    What plan are you on, as that is ADSL 2+ speed? Maybe you are getting everyone elses bandwidth.

Need more power

Telstra 10MB cable CHCH, can hit 10MB speeds quickly any time of the day when using multi-source downloads.

*****When will PC World staff realise Speedtest.net IS NOT accurate. Different ISP have different hops to international Speedtest.net servers especially , if any one of the hops can not sustain 10MB for example the result will be false in relation to the performance of the 'users' true ISP performance. To me this test is borderline worthless but it looks pretty lol.

Right this minute I can multi source-download at 10MB (as in torrents etc) and a few single source servers that I know can handle it, but Speedtest.net struggles to hit 6MB most of the time. Go back to multi source international/national downloads again straight after a useless Speedtest result and........ hey actual 10Mb real life downloading.
    Last edited by Battleneter2; 19-12-2008 at 04:22 PM. Reason: adding

Intel I7 920@4.0 GHz (1.25V), Nvidia GTX580 OC 1.5GB, Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R (1366),Megashadow 2x120mm low speed fans,6 gig Ram (1600), Intel X25-M 80gig G2 SSD & 2x1TB Seagate, Win7