Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: PCW ISP Survey

Default PCW ISP Survey

Hi guys,

in conjunction with an upcoming story on ISP's, we're running a survey on how happy you are with your current provider.

The Survey can be found here:
    http://www.fairfaxbm.tx.co.nz/surveys/isp_pcw_2008.html

I also encourage you to use this thread if you have any comments about your ISP. We might use some of your comments for the article, in this case you'll be contacted via PM and asked permission, as well as your full name and location.

Please pass the link on to friends and family, we're very interested in hearing from people on dial-up as well.

The survey will run until the 5th of January.

get surveying
    Last edited by Jan Birkeland; 19-12-2008 at 10:14 AM.

Default Re: PCW ISP Survey

Are you sure you WANT to know how we rate some of the ISP's we're with??

OK then. Well Xnet have gone from bad to worse. And yesterday I laid a complaint against them. For their slackness, and their torrent plan.

In it, I said their torrent plan is hogging Xnets bandwidth, which is causing non-torrent user's speeds to reduce by at least 10%

I also complained about their river plan (which I am on). This is meant to be 128k upload / FLS download. Its false. My downloads go nowhere near 300-400k (most of the time), because of the torrent plan.

You'll be lucky to get 30-40k download speeds most of the time, because of the torrent plan.

The speedtest question on the above site, THAT may depend on WHICH server youre talking about.. It'll probably be higher in NZ than overseas. Does it matter which server you select??
    Last edited by Speedy Gonzales; 19-12-2008 at 10:31 AM.

Am with telecom.

several times we have had loss of the internet for no apparent reason, most recently due to some upgrade of telecom's website( don't know how that can cause the problem).

the automated broadband helpdesk my parents have TRIED to use to source a solution became extremley unhelpful.
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

JOIN THE FREE FORUMS!!!!!!

I regularly use Orcon, Telecom, Clear and Tasman Solutions broadband.

Telecom is the worst of the bunch, the rest are awesome.
    Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

Quote Originally Posted by wratterus View Post
    I regularly use Orcon, Telecom, Clear and Tasman Solutions broadband.

Telecom is the worst of the bunch, the rest are awesome.

Xnet has been getting worse lately. Lots of outages with no explaination for them, and their email system was out for 3 days this week. Also internatonal website loading speeds in peak times is slow, almost dialup speed. They also don't reply to email support requests. I had a billing issue that was never answered. You also only get ADSL, not 2+ on their regular plan. You have to pay a lot more to get ADSL 2+

My parents use Telecom, and they get full speed ADSL 2+ for no additional fee, since telecom upgraded their plans. They are also happy with the service and reliability.

TelstraClear Internet service is good, customer service is marginal.

"What is your data cap per month?"
    No option for "none".
    Last edited by Nermal; 19-12-2008 at 11:44 AM.

Recently moved from Xnet to Telecom.

Xnet has appalling international bandwidth in the evenings. Youtube buffering every second - I do not lie!! Like others have said, they are now hiding from their own clients.

Telecom has been great for me. Their service has been excellent and I do believe they have made serious attempts to improve their image. But, best of all, their International bandwidth is very good and consistent night and day. I know, this is as it should be but, remember, I am ex Xnet!!

IHUG is the worst I know of.

I have been with IHUG for a bit over 11 years, I am moving to telstra cable.

the speed/quality of connection goes up and down every year. some years better and some not.
    the customer service only gets worse.

filling in a complaint form has no effect, no repily at all.
    asking for a manager never works, they have ESP and all go in to a meeting about 3 minutes before I ring.

I once did get in contact with a manager, he was very concerned by my story of bad service, he asked that I put it down on paper and he would pass it along.
    never heard back....

every ISP has its pro's and con's....
    IHUG is just one big con.
    "Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer!"
    Grand Nagus - Zek

http://brightwork.wordpress.com/

If you want to lay a complaint, fill in the form here

BUT as it says, what you put here, you MUST also send to your ISP.

And the date MUST be after Nov 30, 2007

BUT, before you lay a complaint, the company you want to make a complaint about, must be listed here

Before the above site will deal with it

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

I filled it out 3x

1) WxC at home are horrible, speeds are all over the show and the connection is up and down all the time lately (Their fault).
    2) Telstra Clear have provided a great line in Avondale for me, but again, horrible service..
    3) Teltra Clear was our ISP in town, we just switched a week ago FROM them. They were the worst bunch of idiots Ive ever dealt with at a Helpdesk. Then because the service was so disgusting, they suggested we get another ISP for 3-6 months while the exchange gets upgraded (Meanwhile they still charge us) and then after that switch back to just them. Get real, what a joke!
    4) We switched TO Orcon in town, man talk about the best customer service ever! So helpful during the switch, and when I rang to ask about a static IP they were fast, never waiting on the phone to speak to anybody, service is priced brilliantly and their Orcon+ Network (ADSL2+) absolutely rocks! Speeds are brilliant and we're ~2KM from the exchange (Over 13000Kbps down and 950 up)! I couldnt be happier!

</raving>
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro