Default Is there something I'm missing here before I look for a new router

Hi everyone, we have a 4 port adsl modem/router dynalink rta1335 that was aquired through slingshot as part of our 12 month contract unfortunatly the contract was untill april this year.
    Currently there are three computers connected to this router.

My computer which is an amd athlon xp2800 msi motherboard and onboard 100mb ethernet.
    The family computer is an amd dual core 4200+ with an asus motherboard and 1gb ethernet.
    My brothers computer which is a core 2 e6420 duo asus motherboard and 100mb ethernet.

Ever since about 4 days ago on the family computer everything has slowed to almost a stop over both the wan and lan with about a 50% packet loss (varies at times) if i try to ping a computer on the lan or the router.

A similar thing has happened with my computer yesterday except instead everything seems to have slowed to about dialup speeds on average over the wan and about 100KB/s over lan. Interestingly enough upload seems to be unaffected, I get a respectible 150kb/s whe I run a speedtest and I can connect to my computer and download files over lan from my brothers computer no problem.

My brothers computer remains largly unaffected by the whole situation.

I've tried:
    -First off, restarting the router and then resetting the router and after seting up the internet connection again I didnt notice a difference.
    -Plugging computers into different ports didnt change anything.
    -I tried booting off an ubuntu live cd to check this wasnt a software issue.
    -I tried Plugging the router into a 100mb switch and connecting all computers to the switch while there were no issues over the lan, total bandwidth when connecting to the wan from all computers including my brothers seemed to be limited to about dialup speed overall.

If anyone has any other suggestions as to how I might go about troubleshooting this problem, it would be greatly appreciated as I really cant afford the cost of forking out for a new router at this stage unfortunatly.

Thanks
    Jacob
    Last edited by J_Joyce; 11-12-2008 at 03:00 PM.

Default Re: Is there something I'm missing here before I look for a new router

Quote Originally Posted by J_Joyce View Post
    Ever since about 4 days ago on the family computer everything has slowed to almost a stop

A similar thing has happened with my computer yesterday Interestingly enough upload seems to be unaffected,

My brothers computer remains largly unaffected by the whole situation.
    Which should tell you its nothing to do with your router.
    First thing I'd do is run some malware scans on the 2 slow PCs.

Then report back.............
    wipe your paws.

What Operating systems are the computers using?
    I have an XP machine and Vista Ultimate machine on the same network. The file transfer rate between them is atrocious (always less than 1.2mb second). I heard it has something to do with Vista hijacking the network card for DRM or something.
    Mixing Visat and XP can be a problem.

All machines are running windows xp pro sp2, I just ran and updated Malwarebytes and spybot on the two machines that are having problems. Picked up a few things and restarted still no change. I even tried restarting the family computer in safe mode networking, still cant even load a simple web page.

Thought I'd mention I tried an ubuntu live cd on the family computer and although a connection was made to the network and an ip address dynamically assigned the results were the same as above.

Also is the light on the router for the port that's connected to the family computer supposed to flash sporadically even when the computer's off but still has power going to it? I'm sure it should just remain lit to indicate that a physical connection is present on that port

A few random ideas.
    Have you upgraded to the latest firmware?
    Do you have 'wake on LAN' enabled on your family computer (you can check in BIOS).
    If it's on turn it off and see what happens.

If you've got 3 pc's on a 4 port router, move the home pc ethernet cable to the spare port.

Hi supersi, I upgraded the router firmware to the latest version several months ago. Plugging the family computer into another port doesn't make a difference. Also I had a good look around the bios setup and there isnt a wake on lan option although there is an option to make the onboard lan bootable, which I left disable. Possibly also worth mentioning that installing a pci 100mb ethernet card has the same effect as running off the onboard.
    Last edited by J_Joyce; 11-12-2008 at 08:52 PM.

Bump, Anyone have any more Ideas before I start saving for a second-hand router?