Breathing Legend™

Default Network Wall Jacks

How hard would it be to put them in my parents house? and how pricey?
    I'm so boxing clever™

Default Re: Network Wall Jacks

Depends on how you want to run cables , if you can get under the house or need to go across the ceiling / down the walls - what type of walls and floor are they ( eg: wooden / Concrete ) Do you want the jacks in the wall or at floor level ???

Breathing Legend™

floors are wooden....and walls are...walls? wood i think, i can get under tha house i guess floorline would be the most neatest presentation
    I'm so boxing clever™

Quote Originally Posted by aidanmaz View Post
    floors are wooden....and walls are...walls? wood i think, i can get under tha house i guess floorline would be the most neatest presentation
    Your question has no specific answer.

Why not get a quote from a reputable person?

Are you paying for this or are your parents?

I find these (there are other brands of course) rather handy when theres a need for an ethernet cable into a room without having to run cables

http://www.activecatalog.co.nz/prod/...atid=30&page=1

Basically it allows you to run LAN traffic over the house power wires, which are already in place.

Thats easy then - get a roll of cable, either 100Mtr or 300Mtr - run the cables under the floor, if you want to be neat you can always clip them to the floor joists. Then drill about a 10mm Hole ( per Wire) right at the edge of the wall/floor joint or just slightly out from the wall, poke the cables up, allowing a bit of spare (for stuff ups since you need to get the order of the wiring right) and so they are not tight, then screw the mounts to the floor/wall.

There are several types of mounting boxes, Bigger ones that can hold several connections and smaller ones that hold one Example - the ones in my office and a small one I just sat there for size comparison - ( the place needs a good clean out )

BUT you will also need the right tools to press the wires into the mounts Inside of small mount. Depending on how handy you are, and if you want to do it yourself, it may be cheaper to get someone who knows what they are doing - as some places charge lots for cable - seen many a muckup when people have tried and have no idea at all.

Its not hard, the hardest part usually is making sure you connect the 8 wires in the right order, and checking BEFORE you drill any holes that you are not going down through a beam or pipes / electrical cables under the house.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 09-12-2008 at 02:11 PM.

Breathing Legend™

All the cable making was in my Network= exam i think.....so i can go find the books, I will be paying for it since i am sick of seeing wires, and looking at switches. -might be nice to hide that server in the closet finally.
    I'm so boxing clever™