Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Router Query

Default Router Query

Does any one know for a FACT / from EXPERIANCE the approx range difference between a Wireless G & Wireless N router.

I know the surroundings have a great effect, thats why I ask for actual experience not reviews.

In particular the Linkskys WAG160N Wireless-N UltraRangePlus ADSL2+ Gateway & WAG54G Wireless-G ADSL2+ VPN/Firewall Gateway.

I have tried the G version in a place, and the range thats required is right on the outer limits of the G and often disconnects .

Default Re: Router Query

It is noticibly better (5 to 10m from experience) - IF you have a good wireless N antenna at the other end.

Otherwise the difference is non existent.
    Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

Thanks Wratterus - the person has two Laptops that need to connect - may be easier to run a cable under the house, to a Access point from in the same room.

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    Thanks Wratterus - the person has two Laptops that need to connect - may be easier to run a cable under the house, to a Access point from in the same room.
    I would. Sounds like one of those situations where in the long run that would be the far better option.

Especially as lappys aren't eaily 'upgradable' in the wifi reception area.
    Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

What about EoP as an option?

Has that gear come down in price?

Got a natural pearl in my calloused hand
    ...Saved for the girl who could really understand
    ......What it takes to see
    .........The gold from the alchemy

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

I wouldnt bother with N-wireless. I'd personally grab an el-cheapo Asus WL-520gC from the likes of Qmb.co.nz for $45-ish and use that as a Wireless Repeater-Bridge

DD-WRT firmware runs brilliantly on them, that, and Im just not a fan of cables
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

Lost Cause

Quote Originally Posted by Chilling_Silence View Post
    I wouldnt bother with N-wireless. I'd personally grab an el-cheapo Asus WL-520gC from the likes of Qmb.co.nz for $45-ish and use that as a Wireless Repeater-Bridge

DD-WRT firmware runs brilliantly on them, that, and Im just not a fan of cables
    How easy is it to set these up as repeaters?

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

Dead simple!
    Seriously, once the firmware is on there, its a 2 minute job Then, just plonk the sucker down part-way between your main router and the laptops, and you're good as gold. If you do it right, then they will transparently hand-off between each other, depending on which one you're closest to.

Installing the firmware isnt difficult either, just read the instructions thoroughly (Not that there's much to it), and you'll have no worries!

I keep one in my car, spare, you'd be surprised how often it comes in handy having a router you can quickly set up to boost signal / coverage.. I think Ive gone through 5 in the last 2 months maybe?
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

Lost Cause

Thanks Chilly;

Would it be possible to use two of these as repeaters to extend the signal even further?

As in:
    Router ---------------- Repeater ---------------- Repeater ---------------- Laptops

Sorry about hijacking your thread Wainui.

Its not a Hijack - the person has informed that where the current modem is you cant get under the floor Meaning wireless may be the only answer - BUT it won't be wireless N - so putting in repeaters may be the only answer as drawn - but just to be difficult - they don't want them seen either, and power points are not to bountiful.

Chill-- What firmware are you referring to please - I will be using the ASUS WL-520gU - as the ASUS WL-520gC is currently out of stock from my supplier.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 09-12-2008 at 08:13 AM.