Default Switching between users

Our children have been on the computer almost from the beginning of school holiday. Yesterday when I went to use the computer I noticed the logoff windows was no longer there when you click on "Start" and then "Log Off." This means we can no longer switch from one user to another, the options have disappeared all together. I've asked the kids what happened but noone knows why the computer looks different now.

What might have been the cause of this and how do I bring back the lof off screen so I can switch between users?

I'm using XP Pro with 1GB of memory, AMD 3500.

I'll be appreciative of any hlep. Thanks.

Default Re: Switching between users

Click on Start - Control Panel - User Accounts. Click "Change the way users long on or off".

Make sure the "Use the welcome screen" and "Use fast user switching" buttons are checked.

Hopefully that's all it is.
    Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

Hey thanks, but when I did that this error message came up:

"Client Services for NetWare has disabled the Welcome screen and Fast Switching. To restore these features, you must uninstall Client Services for NetWare."

I searched for this program for could not locate it anywhere. What now? Thanks.

Computer Tech

You need to go into the Control Panel - Network Connections (make sure Control Panel is viewed in Classic Mode so you can see this icon)
    Right-click on the Local Area Connection and click properties.
    You should see Client Service for Netware in th box, highlight it and click Uninstall.

Try this

Altho, I dont think this is installed by default

But if youre on a Novell network, you cant enable Fast user switching

Hey thanks, it worked like magic! I'm now able to switch between users as before.

Today however when I tried to load an HP Image Zone Express Software this error message appears:

"You don't have required privileges to continue installation. Please have your system administrator (or other user with higher privileges) to install this software. (Could not get write access to "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.tif" registry key""

I'm not sure whether the error message is related to the previous problem of switching users and the removal of Client etc but I've never seen this error message before when I loaded other software. What should I do, where should look next? Thanks.

I also have the problem with being unable to switch users. I have checked that both boxes in the Users settings are ticked and have checked out the network connection as well. I have also experienced an issue with Word 2000 refusing to open. Although it works just fine on another user account. I'm having the same problem with my HP All in One printer-scanner. It prints OK but ignores any effort to Open the Digital Imaging Monitor. I am looking at other threads for a solution, but because these issues began at the same time I am wondering if/how they could be related.