Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Wanderer

Default Feasibility of hiring a car

Hi, with the Christmas coming up, I am looking at a trip at Queenstown.

I had a look at Turners Auction and they didn't had any cars that I really like, they were just all the common cars ..

Then I did some maths, and thought since I take the bus to work and in the w'end I may just use the car once which I have access to someone's car, maybe is it better for me just to hire a car. For longer trips to the city in the w'end I still may just take the bus.

Because, a year I may save $1,500 because I don't have insurance and rego and wof payments and other minor maintenance cost. For a $10,000 car if I have this in the bank, I get $400-500 a year on interest. So even if I spend $3,000 a year on hiring a car the diff may only be $1,000.

Having a look at Hertz's website they have cars for around $400/week all incl taxes and airport charges.

I've had my license for 13yrs but never owned my own car.
    What are your views on this?

Default Re: Feasibility of hiring a car

Hiring a car can certainly be cheaper but Hertz do tend to be on the high side price wise as they mainly target travellers. There are cheaper places around, don't know where you are but you could try rent a dent and here in Nelson we have BSR (better service rentals) my folks used them a few times when they came from England last time

Hertz are always one of the highest.

I use Rentals maybe 3-4 times a year. I mainly use Avis, but sometimes Budget or Thrifty. The last few times I have checked the later two Avis has worked out cheaper.

There are a lot of cheaper rental car places depending on where you are and where you return it to. Any that are Airport based and you pickup there will have Airport Fees.

Look up yellow.co.nz Rental cars for Queenstown maybe.
    All you need is a valid license.
    Thermaltake Armor Case/1100W PSU
    Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Motherboard i7-960 3.2 GHz
    Gigabyte GV-N670OC-4GD GForce GTX-670
    Corsair 4x8GB, DDR3-1600 32GB
    5 x Seagate HDD's 3.0TB each
    Dual 22" ViewSonic Widescreen
    NexStar Dual SATA Dock

[QUOTE=Nomad;727083]Hi, with the Christmas coming up, I am looking at a trip at Queenstown.

I had a look at Turners Auction and they didn't had any cars that I really like, they were just all the common cars ..

Common cars, what sort of car do you want? and how much do you want to pay for it?

Can I guess from your profile you are a Citroen,Skoda,Lada,Puegot,Nissan Escargot, BMW Mini, new VW beetle, Rennault sort of person.
    Morris did make a Nomad car if you didnt want a common car and it would match your nick.
    I hired a 1996 Nissan Pulsar from Rent a Dent Nelson airport at Christmas time for 2 weeks it cost $90 a day. My wife noted the hireage was worth more than the car value.
    Last edited by prefect; 16-11-2008 at 09:39 AM. Reason: more stuff
    Its amazing how Potatoes give us chips,fries and Vodka.

Get your s*** together every other vegetable.

These guys do some sharp deals both hare and in Aus.

http://www.standbycars.com/default.aspx?c=2

Wanderer

[QUOTE=prefect;727170]
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Hi, with the Christmas coming up, I am looking at a trip at Queenstown.

Common cars, what sort of car do you want? and how much do you want to pay for it?

Can I guess from your profile you are a Citroen,Skoda,Lada,Puegot,Nissan Escargot, BMW Mini, new VW beetle, Rennault sort of person.
    Morris did make a Nomad car if you didnt want a common car and it would match your nick.
    I hired a 1996 Nissan Pulsar from Rent a Dent Nelson airport at Christmas time for 2 weeks it cost $90 a day. My wife noted the hireage was worth more than the car value.
    Hertz has $400 per week starting on Boxing Day, I will check on the others. Airport pickup and handback, would be ideal since it would save me the cost of getting to the city. I can jump in and head straight out ...

Yes, you guess right however Morris does not fit me. Lada nope. Beetle nope. Don't like Nissans. VW Passats are ok, Renaults and Peugots are ok. Something of a 4 door sedan althou I am hesistant but not excluding hatchbacks. Turners had quite a number of VW Golf and Peugeot 307 4dr hatch but they didn't tick with me.

Ideally I would like a Audi. In the perfect world it may be a Audi S4, 2.4L or 3.0L Quattro Turbo BMW is a bit too popular but not against it. Merz are too royal. Alfa are too ugly. Lada no way. Morris almost ditto. The others perhaps.

Turners didn't have much 4WD sedans apart from Subaru which was one or two and SUV and people movers. I dislike Japanese cars, a) because boy racers have them and b) they are so popular almost like a uniform.

I would like 4WD because I like to do landscape photography and ski. Not impossible with a 2WD thou. A 4 door would be useful for eg., I can extend my tripod and take down one section only and throw it in the backseat.

I may still get my own car despite that I don't use it much if I can get something I like. Since, they are not really the types I like and I don't use it much, maybe hiring and just return the car back to them is preferable.

I am willing to spend $15-18k on it. No finance required. I rather use Turners because dealers may jack up the price and give you crap service. My family had that with one of their cars within the warranty period and then just got from Turners.

Cheers.
    Last edited by Nomad; 16-11-2008 at 04:43 PM.

[QUOTE=Nomad;727275]
    Quote Originally Posted by prefect View Post

Hertz has $400 per week starting on Boxing Day, I will check on the others. Airport pickup and handback, would be ideal since it would save me the cost of getting to the city. I can jump in and head straight out ...

Yes, you guess right however Morris does not fit me. Lada nope. Beetle nope. Don't like Nissans. VW Passats are ok, Renaults and Peugots are ok. Something of a 4 door sedan althou I am hesistant but not excluding hatchbacks. Turners had quite a number of VW Golf and Peugeot 307 4dr hatch but they didn't tick with me.

Ideally I would like a Audi. In the perfect world it may be a Audi S4, 2.4L or 3.0L Quattro Turbo BMW is a bit too popular but not against it. Merz are too royal. Alfa are too ugly. Lada no way. Morris almost ditto. The others perhaps.

Turners didn't have much 4WD sedans apart from Subaru which was one or two and SUV and people movers. I dislike Japanese cars, a) because boy racers have them and b) they are so popular almost like a uniform.

I would like 4WD because I like to do landscape photography and ski. Not impossible with a 2WD thou. A 4 door would be useful for eg., I can extend my tripod and take down one section only and throw it in the backseat.

I may still get my own car despite that I don't use it much if I can get something I like. Since, they are not really the types I like and I don't use it much, maybe hiring and just return the car back to them is preferable.

I am willing to spend $15-18k on it. No finance required. I rather use Turners because dealers may jack up the price and give you crap service. My family had that with one of their cars within the warranty period and then just got from Turners.

Cheers.
    Spending 15- 18 at turners without any come back?
    samsung, discovering a new galaxy every month

Wanderer

I've factored it in that if I want to service it, I rather pay it myself. I'll take the risk in that. Turners is a bit cheaper than the dealers. I just don't trust their warranties.

My dad bought a Ford from a Ford dealer, first few weeks had issues of starting and he still had to pay for the part to be swapped. So ...

Obviously I will take a person who is a car tech etc... to have a 2nd opinion.
    Last edited by Nomad; 16-11-2008 at 05:05 PM.

What?!!? (Some) Alfa's are some of the most beautiful cars ever made!

http://www.ridelust.com/wp-content/u...romeo_mito.jpg

http://allworldcars.com/wordpress/wp...omeo-169-2.jpg
    Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

Wanderer

Alfa are ugly at the front. They look like a squashed face open mouth Alien.