Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Desktop/Laptop Internet

Can I just swop the cords from the modem and put them in my Laptop. I can get dial up Internet on my Laptop but I want Broadband.
    Can someone stick with me please and possibly ( I would very much appreciate it,) show what on the Trademe site listings that would be appropriate. or on any site for that matter,I would be appropriate - thanks

Technically Challenged here

Default Re: Desktop/Laptop Internet

Hey Welcome to Press F1
    The only plug that you can plug straight into your laptop is the cable that connects the modem to either your desktop or (if you had one) a router.
    When using broadband you cant just connect the laptop into the phone line and still get broadband it still has to go through your modem.
    Ok so on the back of your modem there should be three cables (maybe four) 1.the power cable, 2.the phone line, and 3. either a ethernet cable or/and a usb cable that connects to your desktop. If it is an ethernet cable you should be able to just connect it into your ethernet port on your laptop, but if it is a usb cable you will need to find the installer disk that should have come with your modem.
    Sorry for the long post, just want to answer any question you might have while trying this.
    Hope this helps post back if you got any problems

Also what kind of modem do you have?
    Make and Model?
    And what laptop

Default Re: Dell Laptop

ADSL DSL 302G

Work calls - check this out tonight - thanks

Yeah that modem has an ethernet plug on the back, so you can just run a cable from that to your laptop and should work.

If you want connectivity to your desktop and laptop at the same time you need to buy a switch or an wireless access point (if you have a wireless card built in your laptop).

So on trademe search for "ethernet switch" or "wireless access point", although I don't think you can just get a wireless access point, it will most likely be a wireless router.

Good luck,

Gregor

You can get access points, although I think their prices are similar (or worse) than a wireless router (or wireless ADSL gateway/router, which would only mean 1 box - you could then retire the DSL-302G).
    There are 10 types of people in this world - those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Gregor, You can get wireless access points they have only one ethernet port on it. But he is right f1frossy13 if you want both pcs to have internet you will need a router. So it will go modem connected via ethernet connection to router and then two separate ethernet cables to your desktop and laptop, so you will also need to buy two ethernet cables as well.

Actually MushHead you are right, that would be the best thing for f1frossy13 to do, but i think f1frossy13 is with Telecom (from the modem he has) so this means he will have to get someone to get the settings from his old modem and move them to the new one. Cause remember Quote: "Technically Challenged here"

I'm guessing that modem already has a router functionality in it, thats why I said just get a switch/access point.

I remember looking for access points but couldn't really find many, can't remember why I even looked for them. Maybe because I couldn't get my wireless router to work just as an access point, but thats fixed now.

The model that f1frossy13 has is only a modem not a combo, well dlink call it a combo cause it is USB and Ethernet. SO it only has four ports o the back of it, power, usb, phone and ethernet