Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Help with software to make my flashdrive bootable

Hi, can someone please point me toward some RELIABLE AND EASY TO USE free software that I can load onto my flashdrive to make it bootable. I have a mini laptop that does not have a cd/dvd drive. I want to be able to put the Norton Ghost programme onto my flash drive and boot off it so I can run the ghost programme to ghost and re-ghost my C partition from my D partition. I might sound like I know what I'm doing, but its bluff, so if you give instructions, please talk to me like a child. If you believe this process is not possible, please also talk to me about this. Cheers

Default Re: Help with software to make my flashdrive bootable

Whats the brand/model of the flash drive??

Not all flash drives, are bootable. And if the mobo doesnt support booting from USB devices, it definitely wont work

If the Nortons install file is the main install file, just copy the install file to it, and put it in a USB port. And run it. If thats what youre talking about
    Last edited by Speedy Gonzales; 29-10-2008 at 03:32 PM.

Mr Gonzalas, the model/brand is Toshiba TransMemory USB 2.0. I've got an Acer Aspire One AOA150. As to booting from a flash, I went into the setup (F2) and the USB ports are listed in the boot list, so I am assuming it can boot from a flash, what do you think.

Depends what you mean by boot.

If you want to boot from within windows, copy the file to it, and open then run it.

If you mean to boot into DOS (I dont think they'll boot into Windows, if this is what you mean, you would have to install a OS on it, like Linux or something).

Mr Gonzalas and/or others, I have just spoken to Acer who assure me that I CAN boot off a flash drive in bios. So, can someone please direct me to some software so I can make my flashdrive (Toshiba TransMemory USB 2.0) bootable.... cheers

If you mean boot into DOS, go here

Then get one of the 98 bootfiles here

Unzip it and copy the files to the flash drive, change the bootdisk in the BIOS to it, see if it boots

BUT, depending on this Nortons program, if its the main install exe file, and youre trying (to install Ghost) from DOS, its not going to work

The flash drive wont boot into windows, like I said unless you install an OS on it

Whatever you trying to do, is it DOS based??
    Last edited by Speedy Gonzales; 29-10-2008 at 04:21 PM.

Sorry to sound dumb here, but I will explain my setup. (Maybe I have misinterpreted you??) On my standard sized laptop I have an image of my C drive stored on my D partition. When I want to reinstall this immage onto my C drive, I put in my Ghost boot cd, power on, and the prompt/programme or what ever you call it, appears, no colour, real basic like dos. I click a few prompts and working from dos or bios or whatever they call it now that dos is dead, it copies the image from D back to C, and resets my computer. The programme on the cd is very small. So, because I don't have a cd drive on my baby, I want to put those files onto my flashdrive and boot from that so I can run the ghost. Are you saying this THIS is not possible?

Ok, if this partition on D is a restore partition, (it SHOULD have 1).

All you have to do, is press F10 or F11, after you reboot, to reinstall Windows. I dont think you need the cd for this

Does the option to restore appear on the screen after you reboot?

Have you tried this??

Sorry bro, I think I now understand where I have gone wrong. Ok, talking about my BIG laptop here with the CD palyer - I used Ghost (on the CD) to make an image of my C drive and put this image onto my D partition. This partition is NOT the hidden partition that contains the windows re-install file. No, I split my hard-drive so all my programmes are on C, and my personal data on D. So, when I want to reinstall my BIG laptop to how I like it, I simply reinstall the Ghost image from my D partition. But to do this, it has to be done in bios, therefore the reason I use the Ghost boot cd. Now, moving to the baby. I have now got my babay all set up nice. E-mail working, programmes all sorted, etc. I now want to make a Ghost of my C drive and store that image onto my D partition (I have split the hard drive on the babay). But the baby doesn't have a cd player, only a USB, so I need to run the ghost programme from the flash drive. Bro, have I made sense?? Or am I still talking kaka??

I get ya now

Well you could try copying this image (what format is this image in)?

Is it an ISO or something else?

To the flash drive.. If its bootable (or can run in DOS), then it should work. As soon as you do the above, change the bootdisk to the flash drive and reboot.

If not, then you may have to do what I posted in post 6, then see if it'll boot.

If it still doesnt boot, then it wont boot. You'll have to fix the cd somehow