Default New Ipod crashes my computer

hi
    i'm running a windows xp sp3 computer, 1gb ram, 2ghz processor, and itunes 8. For a while i have had an ipod video 5g 2nd revision, with a 30gb hard disk, which works perfectly fine, however recently i have filled it with music, so i decided to upgrade. i brought a new ipod classic, with a 120gb hard disk. I then upgraded itunes on the computer, to version 8, which is required for the new ipod. Itunes still works, and updates my old ipod just fine, but, when i connect the new ipod, the computer turns itself off, without being asked or going through the shut down screen. If itunes is not running when i connect the new ipod, the computer still turns itself off. Does anyone have an idea what is causing the computer to turn off

Default Re: New Ipod crashes my computer

is it itunes 8.0 or 8.0.1?, the new one addresses some issues

Look in event viewer (control panel / admin tools). Under system and application

Go through here, look for the time it crashed. When you find it double click on the entry and then click the icon under the down arrow, and paste it here

Does it show a blue screen?

Right mouse on my computer on the desktop / properties. Go to advanced / startup and recovery settings. Untick automatically restart.

Then if it crashes again if a blue screen appears tell us what it says. And if it shows the name of a driver, tell us the name of the driver

there are three events that precede the computer turning off, so here they are...

Event Type: Information
    Event Source: iPod Service
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 0
    Date: 10/23/2008
    Time: 9:01:51 AM
    User: N/A
    Computer: MIRAMAR-QCQW97N
    Description:
    The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( iPod Service ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Service started.

Event Source: CaCCProvSP
    Time: 9:01:47 AM
    Description:
    The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( CaCCProvSP ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Service started.

Event Source: hpqcxs08
    Time: 9:01:44 AM
    Description:
    The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( hpqcxs08 ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Service started.

Once automatic restart is disabled, the blue screen is seen, and the error message is IRQL_NOT_LESS_EQUAL, it doesn't show the name of the driver at fault, but it does have a general disable-all-new-equipment spiel

The version of itunes is 8.0, not 8.0.1, so i have started downloading this version

Here's some other information that may be useful...
    When the new ipod is plugged into another computer, the computer doesn't crash. Also, my computer's USB 2.0 slots are in a PCI extension card, and are not connected directly to the motherboard. When i plug the new ipod into a USB 1.1 slot (which is plugged directly into the motherboard) the computer doesn't turn off, and itunes opens, but because usb1.1 is slow, i would prefer to be able to use the 2.0 slot

Anything more recent besides 2 days ago??

I dont think any of those will cause it to crash

That maybe the main prob the PCI card. Turn the computer off, and put the PCI card into another PCI slot, making sure its in properly

Then turn it back on then see what happens

What else is in the case, and whats the PSU in it?

Sounds like a failing USB port to me, have you tried a different port?
    HOME-LianLi PC-9F,ASRock P67Pro3, i5 2500k @4Ghz, 8Gb HyperX, ASUS GTX660 OC, Corsair Force 120 SSD, HP zIPS22", HOME SERVER HP ML110G6 HOST-Plex\Ubuntu\8

the date's off because of a powercut, those messages are from this afternoon, does that change anything?

will lay off, for now, turning off the computer, as i'm still downloading itunes 8.0.1

other things in the case are a graphics card, the motherboard and all the other that goes with a computer, there are no other pci cards connected. I'm not sure how big the PSU is, but i've no problems with capcity previously

i have also tried different ports on the PCI card, but the same problem occurs, i don't think the card is failing, as an external hard disk, and my old ipod still work in it.

It does sound like a port or something is wrong with that PCI card.

Since it doesnt crash, like you said, with the onboard USB ports

You could post a hijackthis log, dont know if this will help. Get it below.

Put it in its own folder, then run it. Click on scan the system and save a log. Copy and paste the log here

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbs View Post
    i have also tried different ports on the PCI card, but the same problem occurs, i don't think the card is failing, as an external hard disk, and my old ipod still work in it.
    Do the ext HDD and old ipod draw power thru the USB port or do they have their own power pack\plug...

I think your PCI USB card is failing....I have come across this before where a USB device will power off the pc due to a failing port. You could check for newer drivers OR known issues on the manufacturers web-site...
    HOME-LianLi PC-9F,ASRock P67Pro3, i5 2500k @4Ghz, 8Gb HyperX, ASUS GTX660 OC, Corsair Force 120 SSD, HP zIPS22", HOME SERVER HP ML110G6 HOST-Plex\Ubuntu\8