Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Freeview TV card

Looking at this Hauppage WinTV HVR3000 tv capture card. Comments from users of this card will be appreciated. Understand that it is capable to receiving Freeview programs without having to get a decoder. Is it true?

Default Re: Freeview TV card

Yup because it isnt like Sky, where you have to subscribe to get it
    Last edited by Speedy Gonzales; 23-10-2008 at 04:25 PM.

Computer Tech

Yep those cards are good and can receive Freeview via Satellite or UHF.
    UHF is recommended if it is available in your area as you can then get the HD version

Iím still trying to get mine going properly.

WinTV, despite all the patches wouldnít do it. Hauppauge are working on some of the issues. (I hope). According to Hauppauge, WinTv will not handle DVB-T in New Zealand under any circumstances, because of our type of modulation.

However, PowerCinema will, but you need a grunty Dual Core machine. A 2.6gig P4 with 1gig of ram is useless with PowerCinema.

MediaPortal I believe will run things, but before you start you need all the Microsoft patches installed plus WMP 11. That ruled that out for me as I canít be bothered with my computer ringing home every time I do something or Microsoft want to check something.

So, this leaves me with excellent reception off all the analogue stations and just TV One and TV2 on DVB-S. Hauppauge are trying to work out why I get those two channels as clear as a bell, but none of the other Free to Air Satellite stations.

All very disappointing so far.

Quote Originally Posted by B.M. View Post
    Iím still trying to get mine going properly.

WinTV, despite all the patches wouldnít do it. Hauppauge are working on some of the issues. (I hope). According to Hauppauge, WinTv will not handle DVB-T in New Zealand under any circumstances, because of our type of modulation.

However, PowerCinema will, but you need a grunty Dual Core machine. A 2.6gig P4 with 1gig of ram is useless with PowerCinema.

MediaPortal I believe will run things, but before you start you need all the Microsoft patches installed plus WMP 11. That ruled that out for me as I canít be bothered with my computer ringing home every time I do something or Microsoft want to check something.

So, this leaves me with excellent reception off all the analogue stations and just TV One and TV2 on DVB-S. Hauppauge are trying to work out why I get those two channels as clear as a bell, but none of the other Free to Air Satellite stations.

All very disappointing so far.
    That doesn't sound good, not at all!

PowerCinema, MediaPortal, etc, etc, do they come with the card or to be purchased separately?

Any other users encountering the same issues?

Powercinema may come with some cards / tuners, but its not free.

Mediaportal is free, and you can download it.

BUT, it can be tricky to setup / configure

Come over to either gbpvr.com (NZ written PVR free software) or over to Geekzone. There are plenty of people using your card (I have one myself) to get either Freeview (dvb-s) or freeviewHD (dvb-t).

There can be a bit involved, especially with freeviewhd. But people have had it working well with gbpvr and media portal and dvbviewer.

Freeview is fairly easy to set up and you should be getting tv1, 2, 3, c4, and a few others. If you're only getting tv1, 2 etc and no 3 and c4 then sounds like you're missing the kordia mux.

WinTV- Nova series & HVR series, comes with the card.

PowerCinema HD edition with AAC+ was supplied free of charge ex Singapore when I complained to Hauppauge about not being able to receive DVB-T.

However, as I said before, you need a very powerful computer to run PowerCinema.
    A 2.6GHz with 1Gig of RAM running XP doesnít cut it. I have found this myself and it has been confirmed by Hauppauge.

In my case I have flagged DVB-T and decided to go with DVB-S if I can get WinTV to pick up all the available Satellite stations. This means I will miss out on TV Central because that is the only one not covered by DVB-S.

All in all it is a minefield and one must take care and make sure a lot of the hacks & patches available from the Geek Fraternity actually apply to your particular card and Operating System.

I am still waiting to hear from Hauppauge as to why WinTV canít receive all the DVB-S stations. There appears to be a problem with the scanned frequencies for Optus D1. Unfortunately, I canít even manually scan them.

In the meantime, if anyone knows of a patch that will overcome this difficulty it would be appreciated.

Iíll keep you posted with progress, supposing there is some.

I've run Powercinema on a P4 2.4 with 1 GB before.

So, the PC doesnt have to be that powerful at all. To run Powercinema

Altho, this was only for a analogue tuner, not a digital one

This may only apply, if youre actually using a digital tuner, and probably using HDMI (the vidcard and a monitor that supports it)

Or the above, and if you've got a blu-ray or HD player / burner

Who said MS check up on anything?

In WMP 11, there is an option (probably the one that says send unique player ID to content provider). And the one below it. Disable them

The Hauppage WinTV HVR3000 will get freeview on DVB-S (Sat) or DVT-T (UHF)
    If you have PCi-E slots then maybe consider the HVR2200

The Bundled software with Hauppauge is crap. My 4000 card came with Power Cinema but the 3000 does not.

The most recent release of mediaportal works great and is simple to set up.
    You DO need a PC with a good graphics card and a bit of grunt if your planning on using UHF High Definition, also it does need a fair amount of HDD Storage space.

http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/site/prod..._internal.html
    http://cranznz.googlepages.com/
    http://forum.team-mediaportal.com/me...both-you-2321/
    http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp...328&page_no=20
    http://www.dtvforum.co.nz/forum/

There have also been several threads on Freeview DVB-T/S here in the past.
    Thermaltake Armor Case/1100W PSU
    Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Motherboard i7-960 3.2 GHz
    Gigabyte GV-N670OC-4GD GForce GTX-670
    Corsair 4x8GB, DDR3-1600 32GB
    5 x Seagate HDD's 3.0TB each
    Dual 22" ViewSonic Widescreen
    NexStar Dual SATA Dock