Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Default Noahs Ark. Where did all the water go?

The bible tells us that after the 40 days and nights of rain (deluge) and the whole world being covered entirely, to a great depth, in water, the floods receded and Noah and the animals went two by two on their merry way.
    But where did all the water go?
    It canít have drained into the oceans and seas because they were at the same level as the water over the rest of the world
    It canít have evaporated into the atmosphere, as that much water would have clouded the skies and shut down the sun rays and all the water would have fallen back to flood the whole world again.
    I am perplexed, is the bible wrong?

I suppose I should thank god that Iím an atheist and do not have to worry about such things

HH
    Nothing shows a manís character more than what he laughs at.

Default Re: Noahs Ark. Where did all the water go?

Bible says God rebuked the flood waters, and they buggered off somewhere.

So yeah, guess if you're in for a dime you're in for a dollar.

It also says the hills rose and the valleys sank, and god set a boundary for the waters, so such a flood would never happen again.

Which is all very well if you believe god is that powerful, and if you don't, it seems somewhat unbelievable.

About 70% of the earth is still covered with water, and if the earth was flat, the whole thing would be covered with water about 2km deep.

So it stands to reason that the topography of the earth was altered somewhat then, possible by the floodwaters seeping into the fault lines etc etc and causing massive earthquakes/volcanoes etc? I think it stands to reason that after the flood there was an ice age, due to global cooling because of all the water, and probably volcanic activity causing ash to build up in the atmosphere and the sun wouldn't have been able to get through as per normal, which explains various animals being where they are now...

One theory anyway.
    Last edited by wratterus; 08-10-2008 at 09:50 AM.
    Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

Quote Originally Posted by wratterus View Post
    Bible says God rebuked the flood waters.

So yeah, guess if you're in for a dime you're in for a dollar.

It also says the hills rose and the valleys sank, and god set a boundary for the waters, so such a flood would never happen again.

Which is all very well if you believe god is that powerful, and if you don't, it seems somewhat unbelievable.
    Aha Rebuked
    to express sharp, stern disapproval of; reprove; reprimand
    Well that explains it "NOT"
    But I guess that is as good as a lot of explainations of events in the bible.

An enquiring mind can be a curse!!
    Nothing shows a manís character more than what he laughs at.

Jungle Bhoy

After forty days and forty nights, there were a lot of thirsty animals ........

Mind you - what goes in ...........
    Last edited by Miami Steve; 08-10-2008 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Forgot about the natural cycle....

Of course it helps to remember that the Bible as we know it is an assemblage of short stories (books) translated from oral and written history from up to 2500 years ago or more. It was hand copied in Latin for centuries, with all the personal variations or errors the poor old monks inserted, then sanitised into english by order of King James, subject once again to the skills and abilities of the translators, and their personal views.

It is fundamentally a set of allegories intended as a guide for the ruling classes and a means of repressing the serfs and labourers with fear of hellfire and damnation and is not a fairy tale to be taken seriously. Even heaven & hell were allegories, and nobody ever wrote up a Hitchikers' Guide to the Afterlife. Only creationists take it seriously, and then only those parts that suit their personal agendas.

If McCain wins, and dies in office (the former looking unlikely, the latter highly possible) you can look forward to an inarticulate semi-literate female creationist bigot as the leader of the free world and in control of the US armed forces as Commander in Chief, that's if a bullet doesn't get her first.

Then I'll believe in God.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)
    Some days it's not even worth chewing through my restraints!

Then they landed. And the animals all got out and moved off.
    The koalas, dingoes and kangaroos etc headed for Australia, a long swim away. Along the way they obviously ate each other.
    wipe your paws.

If you don't want to believe then don't.

I personally sit somewhere on the fence, but believe that the bible isn't literal truth, but was written as poetry. I don't think it was all meant to be taken entirely literally, but instead it was meant to deliver a point.

If I said my girlfriend had eyes that shone like the moon, would you wonder about the logistics of her eye sockets? If I told you an Aesop fable, would you question the believability of a rabbit losing to a tortoise?

Quote Originally Posted by Thebananamonkey View Post
    If you don't want to believe then don't.

I personally sit somewhere on the fence, but believe that the bible isn't literal truth, but was written as poetry. I don't think it was all meant to be taken entirely literally, but instead it was meant to deliver a point.
    Just to be nosy, do you believe its (The Bible) the work of god or mankind?
    better Dredd then dead

Quote Originally Posted by Metla View Post
    Given that I'm not even sure if there is a god, I'll go with the mankind bit. That doesn't mean that it's not an interesting document, with some profound truths.

I just think atheists can be snooty about the bible being illogical, whilst completely missing the point. It just makes them look like arses really. If you really want to dispute something, how about you actually read and study it first? Then maybe you'll have an informed point, rather than just laughing at other peoples beliefs without really knowing what you're on about.

Quote Originally Posted by Metla View Post
    It's inspired and mostly instructed by God. But written by men.
    Bugger the cancer. I'm suffering from terminal inertia.