Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Software works on Desktops - but not on laptops???

try this

right click on the shortcut and select "Run as Administrator". Yes I know the logged in user is a administrator but we are talking about vista here or have you also tried running in compatibilty mode
    Trust me. I know what I'm doing.Sledge Hammer

Linux the only way to get rid of the windows boot sector virus ( Geoff Palmer , Jun 28, 2004 Tips & Help : Tux Love, PCWorld NZ)

Parkinsons NZ

Gday beama,

Mate, I have tried the software on range of laptops (4), that are running vista sp1, xp sp3 and xp sp2......

no luck on any laptop.... am going to try systools soon and will post the findings here.... fingers crossed!

TIA
    Macca

For the record - tried the above suggestion in Vista, running as admin, same result... error message in Vista -

UT70B.exe has stopped working....a problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available....

FYI - there is no solution lol

Also using Process Monitor, it "may" show a log file being written to, which might have some information about the problem.

Gidday guys,

An update...

I have finally found a laptop that the software wil operate on, and here is the difference:

The laptops that it won't wok on have a COM Port location (in device manager) that says "on Generic Bus". I have tried 4 laptops with this type of COM Port location, and the software fails to load on any of them.

Tonight I tried the software on my wifes work laptop, a Dell Latitude D800, and the software loads, and works correctly.... the COM Port location is "Intel(R) 82801DBM LPC Interface Controller".

And guess what, the desktop PC's that I have successfully installed the software on all have exactly the same COM port location specified in Device Manager.

So... I think that is the problem, the software really needs to be loaded on a system with a Intel COM Port Controller.... what do you guys reckon? Good theory?