Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Software works on Desktops - but not on laptops???

Afternoon guys,

I have a frustrating issue with some new software that I would love some advice on!

We purchased for work a new Uni-T midrange Digital Multimeter with RS232 output. We regularly have a need to monitor and log voltage for work, so the RS232 and associated software was just what we were after for a good price...

However.... we tried to install it on a new Toshiba M200 Laptop running Vista with 2.5GB of RAM...no go, it installed OK, but when you click on the desktop icon nothing happens at all.

Undeterred, I figured the software was not compatible with Vista, so installed it on a middle aged Toshiba Tecra A3 running XP SP3...same problem, installs OK, but the application will not start from either the shortcut or the exe in the program folder.

Hmmm... so I tried again on a Compaq EVO SFF desktop...and this time it works perfectly... the EVO PC is running the same XP SP3 build as the Tecra A3 and has nothing special running on it...

OK - Hopefully I tried on 2 other laptops, a ancient Compaq Armada 110 and a Asus EEE, both running XP SP3...the result..no go, it will not work, and in the case of the Armada, it popped up Access Violation error. ( I realise the EEE has no COM port - but this was just an experiment!)

So I tried again on yet another Compaq SFF desktop...and you guessed it, it worked!! So, what is the difference between the SFF Compaq EVO's and all of the above laptops? All except for the first Toshiba run XP SP3 and are fully patched. We really need the software to run on a laptop for use in the field, so we are hoping that we can get this to play nicely! I have checked the error logs in the Computer Admin area on all machines, but nothing obvious stands out...

Any help really appreciated.

Cheers guys
    Macca

Default Re: Software works on Desktops - but not on laptops???

I cant imagine too much difference between desktop and lappy, they are both computers with the same components.
    Have you tried the software manufacturer web site?. What happens when you start the program on the laptop?. The only issue I can imagine is that the laptop serial port is not activated from the BIOS, so no polling info is coming thru!
    HOME-LianLi PC-9F,ASRock P67Pro3, i5 2500k @4Ghz, 8Gb HyperX, ASUS GTX660 OC, Corsair Force 120 SSD, HP zIPS22", HOME SERVER HP ML110G6 HOST-Plex\Ubuntu\8

Hi Sol,

Yeah my thoughts as well... I can't see there being too many (if any) differences between com ports...

To answer your question though:

On the laptop you can double click either the shortcut on the desktop or the exe file in the program folder. On the laptop(s) x3, absolutely nothing happens, no hourglass, now screen flicker, flash or movement...it just doesn't work at all.

On the desktop(s) x2, you can click either the exe or shortcut and the software loads to a GUI showing a digital multimeter with a whole lot of function buttons etc, in other words, the software loads and operates correctly.

Its kind of an annoying problem, in that we obviously need this to work on a laptop for in-field diagnosis.

I have been to the manufacturer website, however the software version they have available is the same version that is available on the supplied CDROM. I have downloaded and installed this anyway, but it makes no difference and I have the same results as specified above.....

Macca.

How about trying a com to usb adapter, you can pick one up for $10, unless you can test the com port.
    HOME-LianLi PC-9F,ASRock P67Pro3, i5 2500k @4Ghz, 8Gb HyperX, ASUS GTX660 OC, Corsair Force 120 SSD, HP zIPS22", HOME SERVER HP ML110G6 HOST-Plex\Ubuntu\8

Computer Tech

Not something to do with the Power settings on the laptops?
    That's about the only thing that I can think of that might be different on a laptop.
    In the power settings they have options for when running on power or running on battery etc.

You don't have conflict of COM ports? Does the software allow you to reassign what COM port the device is using, or if the software is not opening, what about the hardware device manager?

Hi Gys,

Thanks for the idea, unfortunately, I cannot even get the software to open or start to allow me to change any settings. When it does open on the desktop PC's, there is a range of options to change COM ports, baud rates etc....

The USB adaptor won't be of use, as the software does not need to have the meter attached to operate ( I have tested this with the Desktop)....therefore, I still can't actually start the software, regardless of the adaptor in use.

I will have a look at the power settings, although all of the laptops have no issues monitoring UPS systems via the COM ports on board and running on battery's so I am unsure why this would be different!

Cheers guys
    Macca

You should file a support request with the software vendor.

But in the meantime you might be able to glean some information to what the failure maybe:

1) Download and install "Process Monitor" from Microsoft/Sysinternals
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb896645.aspx

2) Find out the name of the executable you are trying to run, for now I'll just called it "software.exe"

3) start up Process Monitor, click filter, choose "Process Name" is "software.exe"
    (fill in with the actual name of the exe)

4) try running the software in question

5) You should get a bunch of entries of file/registry/thread activity

6) Having a look at the "result" column for failures may give you some insight.

But since you've paid for the software, go back to the vendor directly for some help.

Sounds like something isn't initializing on starting the program.

Generally laptops don't have serial ports, do any of these laptops have serial ports? Cause maybe thats your issue. Check system requirements for the product.

Thanks for the further advice guys... I have logged a service request with the NZ Distributor of the product, but they are just box shifters and the tech knowledge is lacking....

The laptops I have tried the software on include:

Toshiba M200 with Vista (no serial port) - does not work
    Toshiba Tecra A3 with XP SP3 (2 x serial ports) - does not work
    Compaq Armada 110 with XP SP3 (1 x serial port) - does not work
    Asus EEE with XP SP2 (no serial port - tried this to see if it was a SP2 issue)

Desktops that the software works on:

Compaq EVO SFF Pentium 4 1G RAM (2 x serial ports) - software works
    Compaq EVO SFF Pentium 4 512MB RAM (2 x serial ports) - software works

If anyone is keen, download the software from here:

http://www.uni-trend.com.hk/UT70B.html

Uni-T make a huge range of meters and test gear, so the site is reputable and OK to download from....If you can try and install it on your own laptop and let me know the result that would be most beneficial!

Cheers again guys,
    Macca