Default Help: Registrar won't release my Domain

Hi community

I need some serious advice.

Last year I signed up my domain and hosting with www.hostingdirect.co.nz. I've had many many problems with them but the current and most serious problem is that hostingdirect is not releasing the authorisation code for me to do the transfer.

It's been many emails to hostingdirect, and never a straight answer. Now the owner/support person is not answering my emails.

I said:
    Hello. Please may I have the UDAI for mydomain.net
    The FAQ says that this can be generated from the My Account area, but I cannot find this.
    He said:
    Hi, are you moving your hosting account, do you want to cancel your services?
    I said:
    Yes, but I donít want it to take effect until the last day Ė 28/9/08.
    Can you email the UDAI to me?
    No reply.
    I said:
    Hi. I will request again - please may I have the UDAI for mydomain.net?
    He said:
    Hi, this is with go daddy, we cannot transfer names from them, we always have big issues trying to do this, UDAI do not exist for .net .com etc, only .nz names.
    Can I point this name to a new companies name server for you please?
    I said:
    I used the wrong term, sorry.
    ďAuthorisation codeĒ is what I need. I believe itís a straightforward process to obtain that from GoDaddy via your accountís Control Panel, and to have the domainís Authorisation Code sent via email to the registered email address of the registrar?
    I would also like to know if I can set the nameservers myself from my control panel??
    If not (please let me know), please point at DNS.SITE5.COM and DNS2.SITE5.COM
    No reply.
    I said:
    Good morning
    I didnít get a response from you when I replied on Friday to your message below.
    I need to know definitively whether you are going to release the authorisation code, or not, to me for the domain that I registered with you?
    My domain is going to expire very soon, so please treat this enquiry as very urgent.
    That was this morning. I'm getting quite frantic. What should I do?? I'm sure there are some of you who have the issue of un-cooperative registrars before?

The other thing is, I'd be happy even for godaddy to be the registrar, but they can't do anything without the registrars okay.

Default Re: Help: Registrar won't release my Domain

Quote Originally Posted by teszeract View Post
    Hi community

I need some serious advice.

Last year I signed up my domain and hosting with www.hostingdirect.co.nz. I've had many many problems with them but the current and most serious problem is that hostingdirect is not releasing the authorisation code for me to do the transfer.

It's been many emails to hostingdirect, and never a straight answer. Now the owner/support person is not answering my emails.

I said:
    He said:
    I said:

No reply.
    I said:
    He said:
    I said:
    No reply.
    I said:

That was this morning. I'm getting quite frantic. What should I do?? I'm sure there are some of you who have the issue of un-cooperative registrars before?

The other thing is, I'd be happy even for godaddy to be the registrar, but they can't do anything without the registrars okay.

I hvae heard of people who have also had trouble with their services. I guess you get what you pay for with these cheap hosts.

They are however correct, in that international domains don't have UDAI codes. Only .nz domains have UDAI codes. However international domain do have authorisation codes, and they must unlock the domain too at the same time, to allow you to transfer it. If you request it, they must do it, although they could charge you a fee for it as it does involve work from their end. They however aren't allowed to charge a fee for generating a UDAI.
    Once you start the transfer, it can take days to transfer international domain, but you MUST make sure it has been unlocked. If you don't get anywhere, contact the actual registrar Godaddy. Your host is only a reseller, so are not a registrar. Is your email address listed as the 'registrant' as it should be, then the registrar can do this for you.
    Last edited by robbyp; 22-09-2008 at 10:08 PM.

PS. Make sure that you have got the domain registered in your name. You can find out by performing a WHOIS lookup at http://www.allwhois.com/. Your name should be listed in the Registrant field.

I did do a whois. The registrant is hostingdirect. Does that mean they own the domain that they charged me to register?

True, their hosting was cheap, and I won;t make that mistake again, but the registration fee was more than twice what I would have paid if I had regsitered through godaddy itself.

I think that I've been burned, but if they charged me, then the domain must be mine.

I did do a whois. The registrant is hostingdirect. Does that mean they own the domain that they charged me to register?

True, their hosting was cheap, and I won;t make that mistake again, but the registration fee was more than twice what I would have paid if I had regsitered through godaddy itself.

I think that I've been burned, but if they charged me, then the domain must be mine.
    Legally if they are listed as the registrant, they probably 'legally' do own it. That is one of the major things to look out for when registering a domain, that it is registered under your name. However if you have got a receipt to show you have paid for it, if you ended up taking them to the disputes tribunal, I am sure you would get the ownership back. At least you are dealing with a NZ company, so you are covered by NZ laws. I am sure they will eventually sort it out for you, but if they don't you may want to make a compliant to Godaddy.
    You may want to phone them/the owner tommorrow to get it sorted, as these cheap providers are often understaffed.

You aren't the only one who has had problems with them, see http://www.kiwireviews.co.nz/reviews/1588
    Last edited by robbyp; 22-09-2008 at 10:36 PM.

Default Re: Help: HostingDirect won't release my Domain

Thanks for the advice guys. I will call them in the am. Hopefully they'll do the right thing. If not, I feel a review or two coming on.

I hope you get it sorted, as domain disputes can sometimes be difficult, especially with international domains. NZ domains are better, as you have got the NZ Domain Commissioner that can step in if they don't provide the UDAI.
    Hostinghub.co.nz is a hosting review site, and I can see that someone has posted a review about your host on it that is somewhat similar to your experience http://www.hostinghub.co.nz/hosting-direct-reviews.html

To update:

I have called, and they promised. But nothing yet.

I created my own account at Godaddy, and have requested they transfer the domain to my account. It seemed the simplest, cheapest and fastest way to do the transfer - now just holding my breath.

To update:

I have called, and they promised. But nothing yet.

I created my own account at Godaddy, and have requested they transfer the domain to my account. It seemed the simplest, cheapest and fastest way to do the transfer - now just holding my breath.
    You have to wait for it to be unlocked by your current provider, before you can start a transfer, otherwise the transfer will fail, and you then have to get your host to resend the authorisation code again. It can be a very frustrating experience to transfer a international domain.