Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20
  1. #1
    6146-B Billy T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Middle Earth
    Posts
    6,887

    Thumbs up For Surfer Joe, as America goes into crisis.....

    Just to reassure you Joe, that things can go bad, yet amazingly, survive long after perceived successes are dead and buried, here is a little something from my neighbourhood that you might enjoy:

    An Enduring yet Endearing Mistake alive and well in Godzone.

    I always wanted to see one of these in the metal, and whaddayaknow, one turned up just a few streets away from Chez Billy. It is registered, warranted and mobile.

    Cheers

    Billy 8-{)
    Some days it's not even worth chewing through my restraints!

  2. #2
    Frank and Earnest. Cicero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Waikanae
    Posts
    17,469

    Default Re: For Surfer Joe, as America goes into crisis.....

    What we call here in Kiwi land,a "yank tank."
    "The life of the dead is placed in the memory of the living." Cicero

  3. #3
    Smiling Down On Youse SurferJoe46's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Hamilton, Montana, USA
    Posts
    14,317

    Default Re: For Surfer Joe, as America goes into crisis.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Billy T View Post
    Just to reassure you Joe, that things can go bad, yet amazingly, survive long after perceived successes are dead and buried, here is a little something from my neighbourhood that you might enjoy:

    An Enduring yet Endearing Mistake alive and well in Godzone.

    I always wanted to see one of these in the metal, and whaddayaknow, one turned up just a few streets away from Chez Billy. It is registered, warranted and mobile.

    Cheers

    Billy 8-{)
    Oh gosh....it's nice to see that an icon of American industrial brilliance and pulse-feeling has found a (reclusive) home in a foreign land.

    It seems to have a leg-up on the municipal curb-stonework, yet somehow looks forlorn by being parked on the WRONG SIDE OF THE ROAD!!! (Interpretation: Some sorta Freudian statement and solace in a singular package)

    Gotta love the original fuzzy upholstery I can see in the rear window. Mixed with the cyclops brake lamp on the package tray; the true uniqueness of olde world doggedness fusioned to techno-modern shows the vehicle's true legacy: "Risk-taking before- during- and after- it's time".
    Last edited by SurferJoe46; 16-09-2008 at 03:30 PM.


    Warum werden wir so früh alt und klug so spät?

  4. #4
    Retired old codger kenj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Nhapier
    Posts
    5,440

    Default Re: For Surfer Joe, as America goes into crisis.....

    My God, its an Edsel!! I thought Ford had tracked them all down and destroyed the horrible things. Along with those other horrible things (forget the name) that used to explode in a ball of fire when rear ended. What were they called please Joe?

    There was talk of using the boot lid (trunk - Joe) as landing places for choppers.

    Ken
    Corgi Ben Kenobi.......Related by Corgi to the Queen

  5. #5
    Uneqfglyr, shpx lrnu ubergeek85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    122.61.131.xx
    Posts
    2,952

    Default Re: For Surfer Joe, as America goes into crisis.....

    I notice it's parked in the typical New York manner (Floor it then slam on the brakes, landing on the kerb).
    ........,-O
    .......O(_)) ubuntu 11.04 because I'm insane
    ........`-O

    Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    I think I scare ubergeek85. His first words to me were 'you banned me'.

  6. #6
    VoidMaster
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    6,178

    Default Re: For Surfer Joe, as America goes into crisis.....

    Chev Corvair, I think kenj.

    Engine mounted in the rear. Independent rear suspension.

    The engine mounts would fail, go to full acceleration and cut the brake lines.
    Last edited by zqwerty; 16-09-2008 at 03:57 PM.

  7. #7
    Smiling Down On Youse SurferJoe46's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Hamilton, Montana, USA
    Posts
    14,317

    Default Re: For Surfer Joe, as America goes into crisis.....

    Quote Originally Posted by kenj View Post
    My God, its an Edsel!! I thought Ford had tracked them all down and destroyed the horrible things. Along with those other horrible things (forget the name) that used to explode in a ball of fire when rear ended. What were they called please Joe?

    There was talk of using the boot lid (trunk - Joe) as landing places for choppers.

    Ken
    The Pinto...FORD PINTO! The top of the gas tank (NZ= petrol repository) was the floor of the trunk.

    Pinto:Driven by more Buddhist Monks than any other car.

    But the Mustangs and Capris had the same design...and did FORD get sued over them? N-o-o-o-o-o!

    Ralph Nader went after GM and some bad motor mounts (NZ= moutour pillars) on a vehicle that had already been design-changed by the factory.

    Nobody could stop the Edsel though....we have the 2009½ "Preview", road hungry models on the showroom floors (NZ= flours) right now.


    Warum werden wir so früh alt und klug so spät?

  8. #8
    Retired old codger kenj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Nhapier
    Posts
    5,440

    Default Re: For Surfer Joe, as America goes into crisis.....

    Pinto - Driven by more Buddhist Monks than any other car.

    To get to Nirvana quicker than non believers no doubt!

    Ken
    Corgi Ben Kenobi.......Related by Corgi to the Queen

  9. #9
    Smiling Down On Youse SurferJoe46's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Hamilton, Montana, USA
    Posts
    14,317

    Default Re: For Surfer Joe, as America goes into crisis.....

    Quote Originally Posted by zqwerty View Post
    Chev Corvair, I think kenj.

    Engine mounted in the rear. Independent rear suspension.

    The engine mounts would fail, go to full acceleration and cut the brake lines.
    Not the engine mounts...it was the swing axles in the rear that could get under the car in a hard turn and pogo it over into the outside of a turn. Very nasty little habit.

    Chevrolet came up with swing limiters that would only let the rear axle drop a few inches for road deflection...but that was the first year...right after that, they made the rear suspension a total redesign.

    I had a 1960 Corvair (second production year) that I could throw into a turn with any TR, Healey and D-Jags at will...and usually smoke them coming out ahead of them and their silly Tams and Fox-n-Hound scarves.


    Warum werden wir so früh alt und klug so spät?

  10. #10
    Retired old codger kenj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Nhapier
    Posts
    5,440

    Default Re: For Surfer Joe, as America goes into crisis.....

    Quote Originally Posted by SurferJoe46 View Post
    .

    I had a 1960 Corvair (second production year) that I could throw into a turn with any TR, Healey and D-Jags at will...and usually smoke them coming out ahead of them and their silly Tams and Fox-n-Hound scarves.
    Aaah yes Joe... but remember, there is a difference between arse and class.

    Ken
    Corgi Ben Kenobi.......Related by Corgi to the Queen

Similar Threads

  1. Internet Crisis
    By wertyfree in forum PressF1
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-03-2008, 02:04 PM
  2. Surfer Joe - did you know...
    By Greg in forum PC World Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-12-2007, 05:36 PM
  3. Only In America!
    By SurferJoe46 in forum PC World Chat
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 20-05-2007, 12:06 PM
  4. The End Of America?
    By SurferJoe46 in forum PC World Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-11-2006, 09:40 PM
  5. Help Children in Crisis
    By techie in forum PC World Chat
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 26-02-2005, 11:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •