Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Outlook Express 6 issues (not wanting to accept that it's the default mail program!)

I've recently reloaded Win XP PRO on my PC - over the weekend. Loading the OS is only a portion of the battle - getting all the programs loaded and uploading the UPDATES from MS on dialup (no option) takes forever.

Anyway, during the reloading of MS Office 97 Pro - I inadvertantly loaded up Microsoft Outlook (which I detest). It took over the mail browser role - much to my distaste....
    So I uninstalled it using the CD - thought I'd done well...
    Nope.
    When I go to TradeMe and click on an email link to converse with a trader - my browser goes beserk and loads dozens of times... A message says it's because 'It could Not Perform the Request because the Default Mail Client is Not Properly Installed'.
    It was OK before MS Outlook was loaded....

So, I've gone to Options/General in OE 6 and set it to DEFAULT - but as soon as I click elsewhere it changes back.
    I guess there's a REGISTRY entry I need to change - or perhaps I can change it with Tweak IU or manually?
    Any assistance greatly appreciated.

At the moment I have to copy the email address into the OE6 "TO" panel each time otherwise all hell breaks loose....

Default Re: Outlook Express 6 issues (not wanting to accept that it's the default mail progra

Have you tried uninstalling Outlook in Add/Remove Programs / Windows Components?

Default How do I set Outlook Express as DEFAULT Mail Client?

I have XP PRO OS with Outlook Express 6.

Whenever I go into Tools/Options/General Tab and check the default messaging program - it's NOT set as the default.
    So I press the button to MAKE IT DEFAULT. Sounds good.
    By the time I close this window and reopen it - it's changed back again ....

Is there a way to make Outlook Express my DEFAULT MAIL CLIENT - PERMANENTLY?

Cheers

Once upon a time

Default Re: Outlook Express 6 issues

Try Tools/Options/Programs to set OE for email.

Once upon a time

Default Re: How do I set Outlook Express as DEFAULT Mail Client?

Try Tools/Options/Programs in OE to set email.

You should keep the same prob in the same post/thread

Not create another.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy Gonzales View Post
    You should keep the same prob in the same post/thread

Not create another.
    I know....
    I'm just impatient to get it working right.
    Seems such a stupid problem.
    Changing the details over in: Tools/Internet Options/Programs is NOT an option - it has nothing in the relevent fields even in the drop-down boxes.
    I've tried the button 'MANAGE ADD-ONS' - and I've found that Windows Messenger is sitting in there even though I uninstalled it - so I disabled it.

I had a brief search in the registry for OUTLOOK (but changed nothing because I know little about it except to be very carefull).
    It found a lot of Outlook Express entries which it should have... But, even though I uninstalled Microsoft Outlook - it found quite a number of entries for this program

My guess is that one of these entries is responsible for IE & OE NOT BEING my default programs.

I never experienced this sort of problem before and I never dreamt it would be so challenging to return OE6 and IE6 to the DEFAULT programs.

I was hoping that TWEAK UI may be able to help - but no it has no switches available.

Any suggestions I'll gladly try.

I'm on dialup but was wondering whether SP3 would be a fix for these issues. It's a 66mb download - would take over 9 hours...

Any thoughts on whether this would be a solution?

Cheers
    Simon

Default Re: Outlook Express 6 issues

Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    Try Tools/Options/Programs to set OE for email.
    Changing the details over in: Tools/Internet Options/Programs is NOT an option - it has nothing in the relevent fields even in the drop-down boxes.
    I've tried the button 'MANAGE ADD-ONS' - and I've found that Windows Messenger is sitting in there even though I uninstalled it - so I disabled it.

I had a brief search in the registry for OUTLOOK (but changed nothing because I know little about it except to be very carefull).
    It found a lot of Outlook Express entries which it should have... But, even though I uninstalled Microsoft Outlook - it found quite a number of entries for this program

My guess is that one of these entries is responsible for IE & OE NOT BEING my default programs.

I never experienced this sort of problem before and I never dreamt it would be so challenging to return OE6 and IE6 to the DEFAULT programs.

I was hoping that TWEAK UI may be able to help - but no it has no switches available.

Any suggestions I'll gladly try.

I'm on dialup but was wondering whether SP3 would be a fix for these issues. It's a 66mb download - would take over 9 hours...

Any thoughts on whether this would be a solution?

Cheers
    Simon

The problem you are experiencing can sometimes be a result of installing an older version of Microsoft Office or Works on your computer.

From your other post that speedy so nicely pointed to, without that it would have been
    Anyway, during the reloading of MS Office 97 Pro - I inadvertantly loaded up Microsoft Outlook (which I detest).
    Try this - re-registering Outlook Express as the default e-mail application by going to Start, Run, type cmd and hit Enter. At the command prompt, type in the following:

"C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe" /reg

Be sure and include the quotation marks.

Once you've done that, open up your Internet Options, - Open Internet Explorer.
    Click the Tools menu and select Internet Options.
    Click the Programs tab.
    In the E-mail: field, select "Outlook Express" from the drop-down menu.
    Click OK.
    See Here for example
    Last edited by wainuitech; 25-08-2008 at 10:59 PM.

Default Re: Outlook Express 6 issues (not wanting to accept that it's the default mail progra

Check your other post here