Default Proxy Server & Network

I want to install a proxy server on a computer that's already connected to a network in such a way that all other computers must go through the proxy to access the internet. This is so that I can monitor internet use, set up accounts, allocate usage etc.

I can do it very easily & succeessfully by going to all computers on the network and changing the browser settings to connect via the proxy. However, it's quite easy for someone to just re-set the settings and bypass that.

The modem in question merely connects to the existing network, and so can't be interposed between the proxy-server-computer and the internet, UNLESS, and this is my question to all you experts...
    ...if I install a second network card on the proxy-server-computer, put the modem on one card and connect the other card to the existing network as it already is, will that then force all OTHER computers to acceess internet via the proxy-server-computer, and hence give me the control i need? If so, what pitfalls should I avoid?

Computer Tech

Default Re: Proxy Server & Network

Quote Originally Posted by iansmcdonald View Post
    The modem in question merely connects to the existing network, and so can't be interposed between the proxy-server-computer and the internet, UNLESS, and this is my question to all you experts...
    ...if I install a second network card on the proxy-server-computer, put the modem on one card and connect the other card to the existing network as it already is, will that then force all OTHER computers to acceess internet via the proxy-server-computer, and hence give me the control i need? If so, what pitfalls should I avoid?
    That's exactly what you need to do.
    A second network card in the machine that you want to have the proxy server installed on.
    The downside is that that PC will have to be on all the time for the other users to be able to access the net.
    The only thing you need to do is make sure that the two network cards/networks are on different subnets like 192.168.0.??? and 192.168.1.???

What proxy server did you have in mind?