Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    X360GT: Craig Mellor

Default Upgrading Laptop - RAM Compatibilty

Hi, I have a laptop that is in need of an upgrade. It is an Asus A6R - Z92Rseries that runs WinXP, Celeron - M390, 512 RAM (but only says 384mb) and an ATI Radeon Xpress 200M graphics card. It used to be fine to use but lately it is not up to standard. I will eventually get a new laptop but for now would just like to upgrade the one I have. It is in need of an upgrade because I run a lot of programs at the same time and they just lag eachother out and sometimes the computer even restarts itself. I was thinking about getting some more RAM (512MB), but wasn't sure what type of RAM is compatible. I have 2 slots, in slot 1 is: Standard DIMM SDRAM (512mb)- Socket Designation: DIMM0 - Bank Connections: RAS0 RAS1. And slot 2 is empty - Bank Connections: RAS0 RASf. Not sure if all that info is need but added anyway. I think the max RAM is 1GB so I was gonna just get the cheapest 512mb I can. I was at DSE the other day and saw some cheap: DSE 512MB DDR2 667Mh Sodimm RAM but wasn't sure if it would work. Does anyone know what kind of RAM is compatible with my computer? Ask if you need anymore info. Thanks.

Default Re: Upgrading Laptop - RAM Compatibilty

Is this it ?

If it is, it uses DDR 2 533 ram

Or is it this one ?

Yeah I think it is, Thanks, I saw some DDR2 533 ram (512MB) at DSE for $20, is this a good price, and can I install it myself? I have upgraded a normal desktop computer before but not my laptop.
    Last edited by Craig Mellor; 23-08-2008 at 07:59 PM.

If you have the 1st one, this should work

I would check to see which laptop you have.

If its the 2nd one then the 512 mb here should work

Because if you get the 667 and you've got the 1st laptop it wont work. It only supports 533
    Last edited by Speedy Gonzales; 23-08-2008 at 08:01 PM.

Should I just get DDR2 533 RAM because it says it is compatible with both of the A6R models, but I'm sure it is the 1st one anyway.

If you go to www.crucial.com you can do a scan of your laptop and it will tell you what RAM you need and how much you can install.

Yup, I would get the 533

I might go get it tomorrow then, Thanks.

If you get this months PCworld mag.It has a good section on upgrading a Lappy.
    Very well explains all aspects and whole procedure for different upgrades.
    PUPPY LINUX 5.2

Ok, I just went to DSE (Whangarei) and asked for some 512mb DDR2 533 RAM and they said they didn't have any, which on the site it said they did, but ok. Then I saw some 256mb DDR2 533 RAM and thought, hmmm... its not much but still an upgrade. So I got it for $5 and left. I get home unscrew where needed and insert it. It was actually quite hard getting it in there I might add. So its in, But I wasn't completely satisfied because I thought the writing had to be face up, but it was face down because of the groove bit. And by face I mean sticker. So ok, I turn my laptop on and instead of coming up with the normal black screen that says ASUS, it has the same screen but all fuzzy and has lines all through it. I try to push F2 and stuff but it does nothing. So I immediately held down the power button and forced shutdown because it was the only thing I could do. I then open it up again remove it. Right then I was ****ing my pants thinking it wasn't gone work again. I then turn it back on and its sweat. Whats up with it? I don't wanna try putting it again just incase I do some damage. One day during the week I might take it to a proper computer place and see if anyone can get it to work. Thats a last resort unless anyone knows what I need to do. Any advice welcome, Thanks.