Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Someone stole my internet?

Apparently my IP address was the one used to vandalise a Wikipedia page on Kelston Boys' High School on 5th July.

I did not attend this school, let alone tamper with the Wikipedia page dedicated to it.

Did someone steal my internet?
    Meh....

Computer Tech

Default Re: Someone stole my internet?

Do you have a wireless network?

Quote Originally Posted by CYaBro View Post
    Do you have a wireless network?
    Nope. That's what makes me afraid.
    Meh....

Aren't IP addresses randomly allocated. Your ISP will have a block of IP addresses and it is possible that the school got it once and now you have it. Just restart your modem and you should have a new one.
    All the technology and software in the universe is useless when the end user has the IQ of a sack of hammers.

Who's your ISP?

Have you got a fixed ip address??

Nah, it wasn't the school. It was someone else.

My ISP is (sigh) Xtra and I'm on go large still. I'm not literate on the whole IP thing, so I'm not certain if I have a fixed IP address, though I am not quite sure.

EDIT: after following beeswax's advise, I found my IP address has changed after I've restarted the modem. Still....I shared an IP address with a damn vandal.
    Last edited by qazwsxokmijn; 04-08-2008 at 10:33 PM.
    Meh....

You don't mention who notified you that your IP was used on that date to cause damage to the website. Your ISP knows what IP was assigned to someone on a certain date. If their records show only you had that IP on the 5th of July then you can see why they are accusing you.

Do you have other family members who may have been up to mischief eg siblings? Did any of your friends use your computer or connection on that day?

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    You don't mention who notified you that your IP was used on that date to cause damage to the website. Your ISP knows what IP was assigned to someone on a certain date. If their records show only you had that IP on the 5th of July then you can see why they are accusing you.

Do you have other family members who may have been up to mischief eg siblings? Did any of your friends use your computer or connection on that day?
    A Wiki user warned me against the changes made by this person. My brother would not know how to edit a wiki page and as far as I can remember none of my friends visited on that day.

There's nothing to worry about now, I think anyways.....
    Meh....

Quote Originally Posted by qazwsxokmijn View Post
    A Wiki user warned me against the changes made by this person.
    I don't understand this. You saying a wiki user tracked you down via your IP? Only ISPs can link an IP with a user account details.

Out of interest, I just checked your IP records for this forum and between July 3rd and 8th, you had three different IPs assigned to you. I have the IP used by you on the 5th of July if you wish to compare that with the one identified with damaging the wiki. PM me if you want that information.

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    I don't understand this. You saying a wiki user tracked you down via your IP? Only ISPs can link an IP with a user account details.

Out of interest, I just checked your IP records for this forum and between July 3rd and 8th, you had three different IPs assigned to you. I have the IP used by you on the 5th of July if you wish to compare that with the one identified with damaging the wiki. PM me if you want that information.
    Thanks for the offer Jen. PM sent.

Wikipedia allows every user to see changes made and the user that changed it. If the user is not logged in, then their IP address will be recorded instead. This user messaged me through Wiki's messaging system, not email.
    Meh....