Only the Best will do

Default Cannot connect to internet

Hi everyone,

Our preschool bought an Asus Z53Sseries laptop some 7 months ago which came with Vista Business. It also came with Norton Internet Security preinstalled already. From day one this laptop has had lots of problems with not connecting to our current network.

So I two days a go I decided to uninstalled Norton via Adding and Revove from the Control panel. That was the start of many challenges.

Prior to uninstalling NOrton I could access the network now and then and the internet.

After I uninstalled NOrton I cannot connect to the internet nor network. This message came up when I tried to diagnose Connection Proplems:

"Windows confirmed that 'Primary DNS Server' is currently online, but is not responding to connection attempts at this time." Then goes on to explain why:

"This usually means that a firewall is running somewhere between the two computers and is blocking 'domain'. Windows has confirmed that Windows Firewall on this computer is correctly configured to allow this connection. However, a remote firewall might be blocking your connection." And the further suggestions:

"The following policy might need to be adjusted to allow Windows to connect:

'Policy Provider:-
    File Name: SymNetDrv Firewall Filter OUTBOUND_TRANSPORT_V4

If the policy provider identified is Windows Firewall, click for information about adjusting Windows firewall settings. If a different policy provider has been identified, check the provider's documentation on how to adjust the policy settings."

Now I've disabled Windows Firewall, uninstalled Norton, even removed heaps of Norton strings from the registry manually and am quite sure I've deleted SymNetDrv Firewall Filter OUTBOUND_TRANSPORT_V4 but I still cannot connect to the internet.

I've now brought the laptop home and try it out on our home network and I can connect to my network but can't connect to the internet even at home. I have other three computers at home that are able to network and connect to the internet.

At home I've tried both the ethernet cable as well as our wireless modem connection and neither can connect me to the internet. In fact the same error message I quoted above comes up.

So I can only conclude that problems has something to do with Norton or since I unstalled / removed norton from the laptop? Help!

Default Re: Cannot connect to internet

First step - download and run the Norton Removal Tool.

Possibly Nortons hasn't un-installed properly. (Not an uncommon thing to happen.)

Run that and post back. Heaps of other stuff to look at if that doesn't work.

Edit - that was a close thing!
    Last edited by wratterus; 01-08-2008 at 02:54 PM.
    Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

Get this to make sure Nortons has gone for good

I would say SymNetDrv Firewall Filter OUTBOUND_TRANSPORT_V4 is part of Nortons.

Snap Wrat

Only the Best will do

Hurray!!! Thanks Speedy Gonzales & wratterus the norton revoal tool worked like magic! After two days of headaches, thanks so much.

No worries mate.

And please, for your own sake - don't get Nortons again. And if a new laptop or PC ever comes with it, remove it straight away.

Avast Home is good for a free AV, and Eset NOD32 is the one to go with if your looking for a paid one.

Only the Best will do

Hey thanks again. Makes me wonder why anyone would create something like Norton in the first place! And thanks for the suggested antivirus, I'll download Avast now.