Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default installing XP - doesnt "see" HDD's (RAID0)

Hi yawl, was upgrading nero 6 to version 8, got into a restart loop (just horrible) then CD Drives (y & z) dissappeared from within windows and restarting the PC just ended up with the Wallpaper and thats it, no icon's/taskbar etc - tried ending explorer.exe through taskmanager and restarting it, but that didnt achieve anything

Thought bugger it, time for a clean install anyhows and all my data is stored elsewhere (server pc - W2K) - Thought will format drives as part of xp install - when it came to which partition to install xp onto - xp didnt reckonise any of my drives (unknown drive...) - have since determine that it was the card reader drives it was seeing - disconnected that and now xp install doesnt see any drives at all.....................

I have 2x 74GB Western Digital Raptors in RAID 0 that has been running great for 2 years - have run the WD Data Lifeguard Tools and Diagnostic programs with no errors appearing, using my old WIN98 FDD boot disk have run fdisk and format (all sweet, no errors) - This is after creating a new array (RAID0) - am using PROMISE RAID setup disk when windows install calls for it (F6 at start of install)................ hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

now i am getting stumped?........... any suggestions??? hints??? directions where to head? what to do? whats gone wrong??

cheers in advance, HELP!!! lol
    Cheers in advance,
    yawl come back now y'hear!!
    hmmmmmmmmmmmm, a cement pond fill of grannys recipe

Default Re: installing XP - doesnt "see" HDD's (RAID0)

Okay, when XP was released, not all RAID controllers were known to the driver cab within the CD, therefore, when using new hardware such as SATA\SATA2, RAID controllers etc, it is sometimes required, that when the CD boots, you have to load extra drivers so XP can see your RAID partition.....

Press F6 as you say, it will ask for floppy disk with the controller drivers, all good!
    HOME-LianLi PC-9F,ASRock P67Pro3, i5 2500k @4Ghz, 8Gb HyperX, ASUS GTX660 OC, Corsair Force 120 SSD, HP zIPS22", HOME SERVER HP ML110G6 HOST-Plex\Ubuntu\8

yup done that and xp still doesnt "see the drive/s" - i will try sourcing a new "RAID Drive Disk" and try that again, - i was wondering if it was something like a MBR problem or partition table issue on the hard drive itself??????? dunno? might try clagging one of the hard drives into this pc and see if it recognises it????? hmmmm but w2k on this pc??? not sure...............
    Cheers in advance,

You created a partition via the controller?
    HOME-LianLi PC-9F,ASRock P67Pro3, i5 2500k @4Ghz, 8Gb HyperX, ASUS GTX660 OC, Corsair Force 120 SSD, HP zIPS22", HOME SERVER HP ML110G6 HOST-Plex\Ubuntu\8

yup

just had a flash of sh*t to my brain - would having formated the Array using the WIN98 boot disk have formated the array as FAT???? and not NFTS???
    Cheers in advance,

Quote Originally Posted by bjocque View Post
    yup

just had a flash of sh*t to my brain - would having formated the Array using the WIN98 boot disk have formated the array as FAT???? and not NFTS???
    Yes it would have, but it wouldn't change XP's Setup's ability to read it. XP works fine on FAT32. Until you try and render a movie that is.
    Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

Not sure if XP sees Fat16, I know it sees Fat32.....!

I would boot using the XP CD, when you get to Promise controller, use Ctrl + A to enter controller BIOS, delete and re-create RAID array, dont format, continue on a boot via CD....you dont need a win98 boot floopy!

hmmm retried those steps, = the same problem, windows xp setup doesnt see the array.

does the fact that the fastrack bios allow me to create the raid suggest that the actual hdd's are working? western digital diagnostic tools see the raid as '1' disk (cool???) is there a way for me to check the validity/integrity/mbr of these 2 drives/array???? or that i do have correct bios settings?

to me the fact that i can create a raid array would suggest all seems fine on that score?

hmmmmmm, am still stumped........

did drop in my old seagate 17gb hdd and installed xp on that last night, all seems fine, well it runs but doesnt seem to recognise the array within the windows environment
    Cheers in advance,

Did XP ask you for the drivers after you pushed F6?, did you insert floppy with correct drivers?....struggling to understand why XP cant see the array?

Creating array from BIOS in correct procedure and you advised logical drive seen in fasttrak BIOS, so everything sound fine.....????

yup, selected "WinXP Promise SATA378(tm) Contoller" driver

obviously not for the 17gb install
    Cheers in advance,