Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Installed software migration

Due to the build that I am undertaking as detailed in my upgrade thread there will be a need to reinstall the XP system.

The problem here is I do not want to lose the rest of C:\

What can I do to have c:\ completely cleared ready for the new install but retail the ability to put things back as they were after it on the NEW installed OS.

I think I am scrambling in the dark here, I doubt there is a way to do this.
    Most likely I will have to reinstall everything and back up things like programme folders ready to put back after install.

Can I get confirmation on this?

Default Re: Installed software migration

Well unless you use some imaging program, I dont think copying and putting programs back after you've reformatted will work

You'll have to reinstall them

What I do is keep any installed program installation files on some separate media great for free programs then I can just install them again without having to download them. I know this is not what you asked but has been a great time saver for me and it means I can transfer to any PC the ones I want. Once rebuilt take an image

Forgive me for butting in, but my question is relevant.

Can one "Ghost" all the Data off one HD, leaving the OS. Ghosting the Data off another computer HDleaving the OS. Both being XP Home.

Then re-installing but swapped over. Each Ghost to the other computer? Thanks PJ.
    Deafness.
    When I was younger I heard but didn't listen.
    Now I am older, I listen but cannot hear.

If it is not broke, don't make it broker by trying to make it better. (This applies specifically to PJ)

HHmm I don't know maybe one of the techs will tell us, but it's not my understanding of how it works

Quote Originally Posted by Poppa John View Post
    Forgive me for butting in, but my question is relevant.

Can one "Ghost" all the Data off one HD, leaving the OS. Ghosting the Data off another computer HDleaving the OS. Both being XP Home.

Then re-installing but swapped over. Each Ghost to the other computer? Thanks PJ.
    I dont think so. Both computers would likely have different configurations and the 2 registries would likely clash as well.
    All the technology and software in the universe is useless when the end user has the IQ of a sack of hammers.

Quote Originally Posted by beeswax34 View Post
    I dont think so. Both computers would likely have different configurations and the 2 registries would likely clash as well.
    That pretty much answers my question too.

Thanks De Sade.

Does that mean, then, that you would have to ghost each HD in its entirety? Then Reformat each HD, then re-install the Ghosts. On the Other HD? Does that make sense? It is Not possible to swap HDs in my case. PJ
    Deafness.
    When I was younger I heard but didn't listen.
    Now I am older, I listen but cannot hear.

If it is not broke, don't make it broker by trying to make it better. (This applies specifically to PJ)

there is sofware which can help with migration of installed programs but it's not perfect and the 'bigger' the program the more trouble it'll have........you can try COA2 tho...........(change of address 2) google it
    There are two sides to any question; MY side and the WRONG side (Winston Churchill)

People may consider the files and settings transfer wizard which comes with XP to help in this sort of task.

As always, copy all files you have made or downloaded to CD/DVD/HD or wherever. These are files wich would include your email messages, bookmarks, contacts, all spreadsheets, documents, photos and etc

Have all media which contain the O/S, Drivers and Applications before you format one or more hard drives or even repartition.

It also depends on whether your copy or backup media is reliable and verified. Most applications would have to be reinstalled as this is tied to the registry.

A copy rather than a backup is often better. The reason I say this is because you normally would have to put an O/S on a hard drive then install the drivers for hardware and then install the backup application you used and only then can you use the restore function to put files back.
    Last edited by Sweep; 20-07-2008 at 08:30 AM.