Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Trying to Connect Asus Wireless router to dlink 504t modem/router

Hi guys,

Ive just brought a Asus WL-520GC wireless router and connected it to my dlink dsl 504t modem/router and am having problems with it. With my desktop connected to the lan port i can browse the internet, but when i connect my laptop to it wirelessly i have no internet even thow my laptop has connected with excellent reception.

my ips

When connected to 504t router on pc.

ip address: 10.1.1.4
    subnet 255.0.0.0
    default gateway 10.1.1.1

When pc connected to lan port of asus router and 540t connected to wan

ip address: 192.168.1.2
    subnet: 255.255.255.0
    default gateway: 10.1.1.1

Connecting to asus wirelessly with laptop where i cant access internet

ip address: 192.168.1.3
    subnet: 255.255.255.0
    default gateway: 192.168.1.1

hope that helps

any help would be appretiated

Default Re: Trying to Connect Asus Wireless router to dlink 504t modem/router

It is not always easy to get an ADSL modem and wireless router to work together.
    It is much easier to use an all in one wireless modem router but these sort of problems have been addressed before and I am sure someone here will be able to give you some help shortly.

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

Hi Mudz12,

I actually would disagree with Safari, Ive used about 9 of those little routers, still have 3 setup around my house providing my wireless

I wasnt entirely happy with the stock firmware though, so I installed DD-WRT:
    http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices

Then if you have it setup so the WAN port of the WL-520gc is plugged into the LAN port of your DSL-504t, then it'll be fine through either Wireless or through wired network. I know, I took one with me to my grandparents while on holiday just recently and did just that with my WL-520gc and their DSL-504t

Highly recommend you look into the DD-WRT firmware for yours too! It will void your warranty, but at $60 to buy a new one, its not *too* big a deal in the rare chance that something goes kaput.

Welcome to PressF1

Chill.
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

Ok ill try that. Not sure where download is from that link you gave me. Am suppose to find my asus router and download the latest firmware for it?

Could you step me through it as its looks a bit complicated and i dont wanna stuff anything up

Ok i just installed dd-wrt then easier than i thought

Still not going, even when plug erthernet into other lan does same thing. Whats going on? this fourth forum i been on n havent had any progress. I always get and error message saying internet cannot open the search page when just trying to go to google.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mudz12 View Post
    Still not going, even when plug erthernet into other lan does same thing. Whats going on? this fourth forum i been on n havent had any progress. I always get and error message saying internet cannot open the search page when just trying to go to google.com
    Well I did say it is not always easy to get the two units to communicate with each other and I am not experienced enough to give you the detailed information.

There are several people on this forum who are experienced with getting all settings and IPs correct so that the modem and router don't conflict with each other.

One method I have seen mentioned is to disable DHCP on the wireless router and connect the d-link to the LAN port of the wireless router instead of the WAN port but if you wait until more people come on line later today I am sure you will get more help.

The setting's your getting when plugging in via cable are correct - it's just the wireless ip details which are a bit screwed.

It's always good to check the simple stuff first, your lappy is set to obtain an IP address automatically?

You've tried restarting everything since configuring it?

If you still aren't having any joy, Safari's suggestion of disabling DHCP on the Asus and plugging teh modem into one of the Lan ports would work.

I'd recommend changing the IP address and DHCP info of the Asus to something in the 10.x.x.x range, I often use 10.1.1.1 for the modem, and 10.1.1.254 for the wireless router in this situation. It's also less likely to fall over that way, and you can access the control panels of both at the same time, with them being on the same IP range.
    Last edited by wratterus; 16-07-2008 at 02:58 PM.
    Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

Ok i have tryed what you suggested, i changed ip address of asus to 10.1.1.254 and turned off dhcp server. Still does same thing, i wonder if it is the laptop thats the problem?