Default convert VCR tape (video & audio) to digital

i am looking for a way to convert home-movies (taken on my videocam & transferred to video-tapes), to a digital format. Presumably that requires connecting VCR to computer (Windows XP), or is additional hardware reqd? what cable do i use? Also, what software would i need?
    Once i capture the image in digital form on my hard disc, my intention is to copy the file onto a DVD+RW in a format able to be read by a Pioneer DV-676A-s DVD player.

Re that second point, i also have the "reverse" problem! I have a couple of files on a DVD+RW in .wmv format. Both files comprise a number of still photos and music,like a Power Point presentation, and both play fine in either Real Player or WIndows Media Player. But neither will load in the Pioneer DVD Player which just says "Data Files"
    ANy help on either of these things wd be appreciated.

Default Re: convert VCR tape (video & audio) to digital

theres 3 ways to tackle it.

If you have a digital video cam you can plug the VCR into it and use the Digital Convert Function (AV > DV)

If you have a DVD recorder, just plug the VCR into it and "dub" onto a DVD

Or if your computer has a video capture card, plug the VCR into it and use video recording software to record it.

in the last two cases you would be using the video/audio out plugs on the back of the VCR and pluggin them into the video/ audio IN plugs on the DVD recorder or computers capture card.

If your using the digital video cam, it will have it's own cable to use.

Wanderer

Computer way - yeah you need a video capture card or tv card that has "video in", audio in can be the sound card or the motherboard (these days).

Use the provided software to record it - you may need to change the video and audio inputs via in that software.

Once in that .. you then need a way to convert to your DVD way - which I have no experience with .. I have always recorded them into divx xvid to save space ...

No idea about wmv thou, looks like you may need a software of such. Try google ..

Re that second point, i also have the "reverse" problem! I have a couple of files on a DVD+RW in .wmv format. Both files comprise a number of still photos and music,like a Power Point presentation, and both play fine in either Real Player or Windows Media Player. But neither will load in the Pioneer DVD Player which just says "Data Files"
    they need to be MPG files for the DVD player to play them.

I'm assuming your computer has a DVD writer?

Smile Re: convert VCR tape (video & audio) to digital

You could use a VCR / DVD combo recorder and just put the video tape in that you want to copy and a blank dvd to copy onto and push the record button and walk of and have a coffee and do other stuff or watch tv etc. while it does it all for you,its the easiest way I think.
    MB:GA-EP45T-USB3PCPU:X3370Ram:8 Gig 1333GPU:5870 1 Gig x 2Sound Card:Auzen X-Fi HTHDSoundSystem:Onkyo TX-NR708HD:1 x 160 Gig SSD,3 x 1000 Gig F3PSU:HX1000WOptical:2 x Blu-RayCASE:CM69 II Advan.LCD:L246WHBNKeyboard:G15Mouse:MX Rev.OS:7 PRO 64bit

Buy a DVD/Hard drive recorder. Connect your VCR up to it and record onto the hard drive of the recorder then burn to DVD.
    Intel i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad Core, Asus P8Z 68-V LE MB, GTX 560 TI 1GB DDR5 graphics card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, 8gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 ram , Viewsonic VX2233WM LCD 1080P HD Monitor. Seagate Barracuda 1 TB 64MB Sata3 HD

thanx for help so far folks.
    i can write to DVDs on the computer (Nero OEM, In CD) I dont have a DVD recorder. i dont have cables to link videocam to cmpter. Im not sure whether cmptr has a video capture card.
    In all i think maybe simplest option may be too get a VCR / DVD combo recorder.

unfortunately my query has been overtaken by a major issue - trying to instal AVG 8 has left me with a huge mess. can't uninstal AVG 7.5, whhile AVG8 wont go past "insert licence no." - which seems to be in a corrupted file in the 47mB download of AVG8.Tried Restore. no luck. so i presently have a shakey system with a partly uninstalled AVG7.5 which compains abt every movement in Outlook, & a downloaded AVG8, which wont instal.