Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Vodafone 3g broadband.

Moving into a new home and need broadband for work (just emails etc). At the moment we use approx 4 Gb / month.

We decided we can go without a land line and have (nearly) decided to go with Vodafone 3g broadband pro at $70 / month for 3 Gb ($10 for an extra 3Gb).

The plus? No phone connection! = Don't have to pay for the initial connection, can use broadband anywhere I take the laptop.

The minus? No phone connection! = If I want to make any sort of phone call, I have to pay per minute and have to sign up for 24 months or the plan is an extra $10 / month and they charge $700 for the vodem and VMC card.

What I really want to know is, do you knowledgeable guys and girls think this is a wise decision? (2 years seems an awful long time)

Also, has anybody signed up to 3g broadband and if so, experiences?

Thanks.

mikebartnz

Default Re: Vodafone 3g broadband.

Two years isn't really that long and considering the $40 odd dollars just for a line in if 3gig will keep you happy most of the time then I would go go for it. Are you sure you will get 3G though.

Quote Originally Posted by mikebartnz View Post
    ...Are you sure you will get 3G though.
    Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by pine-o-cleen View Post
    Huh?
    Isn't 3G only in the main NZ centres, and not out in the suburbs? Outside the coverage and you will only get very slow speeds. This map has 3G coverage, and as you will see, it is patchy http://www.vodafone.co.nz/help/cover...ex.jsp?area=nz
    Last edited by robbyp; 25-06-2008 at 08:58 PM.

You have to really WANT wireless to put up with it - it is not to be compared with proper internet unless you enjoy gnashing your teeth.
    I used it for a while, and other than being slow, erratic and expensive, it is handy on the bus etc. According to the coverage map, we are in a good signal area, but things work much better when the repeater/cell tower shadow falls on your section. If you have only previously had dial-up on a bad line, then the wireless doesn't seem so bad.
    It suited me while I had it, but it is a far better experience being on X*** Fus***.
    Entropy is not what
    it used to be.

Get a Skype phone and a local number

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument. -William G. McAdoo, lawyer and politician (1863-1941)

On Safari

Have been using the same plan for the last year.... Check the broad band speed where you are first. Vodafone's site has a page to check just by typing in your address.
    Most of NZ is on 2G, if any, coverage, some city areas are on 3G but speed depends on distance from the signal tower. Line of sight preferably.
    MacBook Pro ~ OSX 10.7 ~ 32g iPad 2 ~ XT Mobile Broadband.

Quote Originally Posted by pine-o-cleen View Post
    We decided we can go without a land line and have (nearly) decided to go with Vodafone 3g broadband pro at $70 / month for 3 Gb ($10 for an extra 3Gb).

The plus? No phone connection!

The minus? No phone connection! = If I want to make any sort of phone call, I have to pay per minute and have to sign up for 24 months or the plan is an extra $10 / month and they charge $700 for the vodem and VMC card.
    Go with Snaps Naked dsl then, $70 gets you 10GB and VOIP. No contract if you use your own modem.

+1 for NDSL.

Unless your right in a decent size city, you will get dial up speeds on 3G. (Or 2G, as the case may be). And massive pings, you can hardly measure the latency. It's horrible.
    Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

Vodafone's 3G coverage currently extends to about 63% of the footprint of our 2G network (which covers 97% of the places New Zealanders live work and play) but I would check the coverage at your address first before jumping in.
    Vodafone External Communications Manager