Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wolfdale E8400

Default Wolfdale E8400

Is anyone using this CPU?
    I am looking at getting one but are concerned about which motherboard to use it with.
    For example most of the Asus mobos I have checked out require a Bios update to be compatable. The P5KR appears to be an exception.

Default Re: Wolfdale E8400

Get the 7200, cheaper and clocks very well...
    HOME-LianLi PC-9F,ASRock P67Pro3, i5 2500k @4Ghz, 8Gb HyperX, ASUS GTX660 OC, Corsair Force 120 SSD, HP zIPS22", HOME SERVER HP ML110G6 HOST-Plex\Ubuntu\8

in for the kill

All motherboards require a BIOS update for the newer 45nm CPU's. They may say they support it but only with a new BIOS. Usually they work regardless but it throws you a warning each time you startup to update the BIOS.

Quote Originally Posted by trinsic View Post
    All motherboards require a BIOS update for the newer 45nm CPU's. They may say they support it but only with a new BIOS. Usually they work regardless but it throws you a warning each time you startup to update the BIOS.
    What about the Intel DX-38BT would that still require an update?

Quote Originally Posted by SolMiester View Post
    Get the 7200, cheaper and clocks very well...
    Yes it may be cheaper but I think I'd like the extra horspower.
    I was just reading a review on the E8400 & they ran it up to 4.3GHz without getting to hot.
    I dont overclock anyway, I'd rather start with what I want.

Quote Originally Posted by Driftwood View Post
    Yes it may be cheaper but I think I'd like the extra horspower.
    I was just reading a review on the E8400 & they ran it up to 4.3GHz without getting to hot.
    I dont overclock anyway, I'd rather start with what I want.
    The 7200 is a better clocking chip......
    HOME-LianLi PC-9F,ASRock P67Pro3, i5 2500k @4Ghz, 8Gb HyperX, ASUS GTX660 OC, Corsair Force 120 SSD, HP zIPS22", HOME SERVER HP ML110G6 HOST-Plex\Ubuntu\8

Hi. I'm using the E8400 on a Gigabyte GA-X38-DS4 motherboard. It booted and worked fine with the original bios but I can't tell you much about that - I updated the bios very soon after. If you are nervous about bios updating it is pretty easy with Gigabyte - you can update in Windows using @bios, which is great of like me you don't have a floppy drive. I'd spend the little extra on the E8400. Also, the GA-EX38-DS4 motherboard seems to be in pretty good supply now. I'd get that rather than the GA-X38-DS4. The EX is about the same price but has extra power saving features. There is a comparison here http://www.bjorn3d.com/read_pf.php?cID=1227

In short, I haven't tried the E7200 but I'd spend the extra $80 for the E8400. It has a faster clock, probably doesn't need oveclocking but if you are into that people have commonly reported clocking to 3.6GHz on air with no problems. Why build a nice new PC and save $80 buying an inferior CPU? My 2 cents anyway.

Regards,

Brett

Quote Originally Posted by Brettp View Post
    Hi. I'm using the E8400 on a Gigabyte GA-X38-DS4 motherboard. It booted and worked fine with the original bios but I can't tell you much about that - I updated the bios very soon after. If you are nervous about bios updating it is pretty easy with Gigabyte - you can update in Windows using @bios, which is great of like me you don't have a floppy drive. I'd spend the little extra on the E8400. Also, the GA-EX38-DS4 motherboard seems to be in pretty good supply now. I'd get that rather than the GA-X38-DS4. The EX is about the same price but has extra power saving features. There is a comparison here http://www.bjorn3d.com/read_pf.php?cID=1227

In short, I haven't tried the E7200 but I'd spend the extra $80 for the E8400. It has a faster clock, probably doesn't need oveclocking but if you are into that people have commonly reported clocking to 3.6GHz on air with no problems. Why build a nice new PC and save $80 buying an inferior CPU? My 2 cents anyway.

Regards,

Brett
    Here is a quick easy quide for you on the 7200. But hey, not me buying, just giving some advice.

in for the kill

Quote Originally Posted by Driftwood View Post
    What about the Intel DX-38BT would that still require an update?
    If it came out after the 45nm CPU's then it probably wont require a newer BIOS. My GA-P35-DS3R required a BIOS update. I chucked my E7300 in, it threw an error about needing to update BIOS. Got the new BIOS and was done in 5 minutes. Didn't need another computer to do it either, but this may be different for each motherboard maker so can't be 100% certain.

OK I've been offered a E8400 for the same price as a E7300 so thats sorted.
    Just looking for a good deal on a mobo.