View Poll Results: Should a smack as part 'Good Parental Correction' be a criminal Offence in NZ?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

4 9.52%
  • No

38 90.48%
  • Don't Know/Not sure

0 0%
Page 1 of 9 12345678 ... LastLast

Thumbs up Section 59/Antismacking Referendum

Hello all, just wanting to do a poll to see who agrees with the repeal of section 59 or not.

Don’t get mad -get even...

...even more signatures!

Just to clarify a couple of points, there are two petitions regarding child abuse and the anti-smacking law

Petition 1. “Should a smack as part of good parental correction be a criminal offence in NZ”
    Due date for required signatures - June 29th
    How many more signatures are needed - 20,000

Reason? - because of the ‘audit process’ of signatures which still remains a slight mystery as to how it works, we would like to submit 20,000 more signatures than are needed - to avoid any doubt!!!

Petition 2. “Should the government give urgent priority to understanding and addressing the wider causes of family breakdown, family violence and child abuse in NZ”

Due date for required signatures - Wednesday May 14th (yep - next week!)

Reason? - because this petition didn’t have the required number by the previous close-off date, it does not get the extra 2 month extension that the first petition does.

How many more signatures are needed - it’s going to be close on this one, and we are hoping for a favourable ‘audit’. Bottom line - we just need as many as you can get in the next 4-6 days

IN OTHER WORDS

(and here’s the important bit!……..)

Please send in any petition forms you have

(even half completed forms)

before this coming MONDAY

But PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE continue collecting for 'Petition 1'

DOWNLOAD PETITION FORMS

Click Here

Thanks for your efforts on this. It is worth it.
    Last edited by stevensaaron; 07-05-2008 at 12:52 AM.

Default Re: Section 59/Antismacking Referendum

No, parents should be allowed to discipline their children.

It worked a thousands years.

But using weapons etc should be seroius offences, and child abusers should be shot.
    So what colour is your Adkaf?
    Have you joined Proud to Be Kiwi yet?

Children should have full recourse to the law if they are victims of common assault. Full. Stop.
    Te audire no possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure.

Quote Originally Posted by Digby View Post
    No, parents should be allowed to discipline their children.

It worked a thousands years.
    Most definitely agree.

I do believe that it should be a requirement, before you vote or sign such a petition or even give an opinion on the subject, to bring up children of your own. Only then are you qualified to comment.

Unfortunately, the nurse does not give you the baby with one hand and an instruction book with the other. You have to work it out for yourself!

Children can be extremely frustrating and most definitely would try the patience of a saint! That is not a justification for smacking, but anyone who has brought up children will understand, but not necessarily condone, the reasons for smacking your children.

It does not mean that you do not love your children because you smack them - the opposite is the case - you smack them because you love them.

I was told that, as a parent, you should ignore the bad behaviour and reward the good. The premise is that all children look for attention and may not be too worried how they obtain it as long as they receive attention.

As a parent I just could not do that, but it did make me soften my stance. But my children were smacked. It seems to have had the required effect. Both have grown up very well adjusted and both are very well respected by their peers. They both have very good jobs and both are very successful in their professions. We are very proud.
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

Us husbands are a sorry lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
    Most definitely agree.

I do believe that it should be a requirement, before you vote or sign such a petition or even give an opinion on the subject, to bring up children of your own. Only then are you qualified to comment.
    No I disagree with that.
    Everyone should have a right to say because it's a societal issue that affects us all in one way or another.
    What about prospective parents?
    Besides, we were all children once.

The fact that Section59 was even passed just goes to show how out of touch our politicians are with the tax-paying public who pay their wages.

The fact that someone like Sue Bradford even managed to get traction on the issue just makes a mockery of our current political system.

I used to get the leather belt around my ass if I did wrong and it did me no harm. It probably taught me to respect my parents which the younger generation seem not to do so much these days.

Much the same at school. Days of strap at primary school and cane at high school. I never had the cane but had the strap a few times. Respect for teachers was higher then than today.

Albeit some teachers got a bit over zealous on the caning aspect though. Overall I see no harm in it, providing it is not excessive.
    Thermaltake Armor Case/1100W PSU
    Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Motherboard i7-960 3.2 GHz
    Gigabyte GV-N670OC-4GD GForce GTX-670
    Corsair 4x8GB, DDR3-1600 32GB
    5 x Seagate HDD's 3.0TB each
    Dual 22" ViewSonic Widescreen
    NexStar Dual SATA Dock

The repeal has changed nothing. Parents are not being charged for simply disciplining their children with a "reasonable level of violence".

All you Press F1 members who don't agree with the repeal can still use violence on your children as long as you don't go too far - so what's the problem?
    Te audire no possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure.

But Deane - what about the guy (in CHCH?) recently that got charged for 'flicking' his son's ear??

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument. -William G. McAdoo, lawyer and politician (1863-1941)

Quote Originally Posted by Deane F View Post
    The repeal has changed nothing. Parents are not being charged for simply disciplining their children with a "reasonable level of violence".
    So - if nothing changed, why was it brought in in the first place?
    Why were our politicians sidetracked on an issue for so long to pass a law that would 'change nothing'?
    Surely there were more important issues for our fat-bellied politicians to focus on.

Quote Originally Posted by Bantu View Post
    I used to get the leather belt around my ass if I did wrong and it did me no harm. It probably taught me to respect my parents which the younger generation seem not to do so much these days.

Much the same at school. Days of strap at primary school and cane at high school. I never had the cane but had the strap a few times. Respect for teachers was higher then than today.

Albeit some teachers got a bit over zealous on the caning aspect though. Overall I see no harm in it, providing it is not excessive.
    Yes couldn't agree more. I got a few belts around the legs by the old man with a leather strap. It left a few welts. Also got the strap and cane at school.
    Intel i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad Core, Asus P8Z 68-V LE MB, GTX 560 TI 1GB DDR5 graphics card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, 8gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 ram , Viewsonic VX2233WM LCD 1080P HD Monitor. Seagate Barracuda 1 TB 64MB Sata3 HD