Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bleakly Optomistic

Default Is Fair Go fair?

Now that I'm getting older, I've been watching/listening to Fair go for the past few weeks.

What do you think of their wall of shame?

Personally, the Hallenstein's bit with the picture logo had me in fits. Good on Hallensteins for telling them where to go. (Or more accurately, didn't respond.)

Default Re: Is Fair Go fair?

Quote Originally Posted by the_bogan View Post
    Now that I'm getting older, I've been watching/listening to Fair go for the past few weeks.

Personally, the Hallenstein's bit with the picture logo had me in fits. Good on Hallensteins for telling them where to go. (Or more accurately, didn't respond.)
    Sometimes I think they are a bit off the mark, and on occasion I have disagreed with them. However I am sure that the people who are taken to fair go, wouldn't consider it is fair.

The good thing about the wall of shame, is that at least the stories aren't forgotten about.

I actaully agree with Hallensteins in a way, and the law is on their side. All they have done is publish a photo of a public artwork, paid for in our rates. It is a public artwork so they can legally do this. Professional photographers take photos all the time of public art,buildings/architecture(which is also art) and even people and they don't pay a fee to the person who created or appear in it. The artist of that particular art work also copied an element of architecture, in the creation of the work, did he pay the creator of thoese building elements for using that.
    Also he has already been paid by the council, for the 'public art', he can't have his cake and eat it to.

Many years ago I was involved (very peripherally) in an item about the company I worked for at the time. Previously I had been a fan of the show - but when I watched the item on the company I worked for, I was disgusted by the one-sided journalism. They exaggerated the complainant's claims and did not report the target company's side accurately or in full. I know they're "fighting for the little guy", but still felt that the company did not get a 'fair go'. All done in the name of entertainment.

They do get some scumbags on the show (some of whom should be locked up), but I don't think that Brian Edwards would be particularly proud of what it's become today...

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument. -William G. McAdoo, lawyer and politician (1863-1941)

South Seas Parrothead Twelvevolts's Avatar

Who watches Fair Go - surely it isn't on Bit Torrent.

Quote Originally Posted by Twelvevolts View Post
    Who watches Fair Go - surely it isn't on Bit Torrent.
    A lot of people.

It is consistently one of the most watched shows on TV.
    All the technology and software in the universe is useless when the end user has the IQ of a sack of hammers.

Looks to me like a direct pinch from the "cool/uncool" wall on Top Gear.

Not certain of the effectiveness, though. Have yet to see anyone rushing in to have their name removed.
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

Us husbands are a sorry lot.

Quote Originally Posted by johcar View Post
    They do get some scumbags on the show (some of whom should be locked up), but I don't think that Brian Edwards would be particularly proud of what it's become today...
    I watch Fairgo every week - always have done and thoroughly enjoy it. Especially when scumbags doing roofs for pensioners at hugely inflated prices and using grotty paint, fall over backwards trying to throw ladders at the camera man etc.

But obviously they do make mistakes producing Fairgo.
    And Brian did make the worst I ever saw.
    An advert for wood panels years ago showed two massive lorries pulling opposite each other trying to separate the layers of plywood.
    Viewers wrote in saying that the advert was false. Brian persuaded the firm to run the test again with the team watching. The manufacturer was obviously delighted and probably couldn't believe his luck.
    Needless to say the trucks again failed to separate the layers.
    Any competent engineer (I was one!) would know that two trucks pulling against each other is only the same as one truck pulling against a secure anchor.
    Plus the smoking tyres (they did the test on a "grass" area) merely demonstrated the lack of friction. No way could those trucks exert enough pull to tear the sheets if they were to normal plywood standards.
    Brian's endorsement of the method merely turned a brilliant idea for an advertisement into something that really misled the public.
    I personally thought the idea was superb but wrote to Fairgo pointing out their error. They admitted that they had received other similar letters but pointed me to the firm responsible. Who of course did know and were too busy hugging themselves with glee to do anything else.
    Tom
    Last edited by Thomas01; 01-05-2008 at 10:21 AM. Reason: English

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
    Not certain of the effectiveness, though. Have yet to see anyone rushing in to have their name removed.
    Air NZ got there name removed from it last night.

They help sometimes so good on them. But a lot of times they can't do anything.
    Especially if its a company gone bust and conveniently Ltd, so they can go start up again and get away with it.

Why didn't they persist with asking the Air NZ guy why, if he says you can ask for a full refund, heaps of people wrote in saying they had only to be told they couldn't have it. At all. Not because they had accepted some other thing.

I have been watching fairGo this season. Never bothered much about it before.. It's way better than that garbage from CH3 called Target.
    Regards,

Paul W
    Taco Bell is not a Mexican telephone company