Default Direct Cable Connection ARGH!!!!!!!!

Well if any1 know how to help me then thanks. I have just installed and ethernet card into both of my pcs they r (10/100Mbps UTP V2 PCI cards) I connected these cards with a crossover cable (10BaseT (RJ45)) now I have installed the direct cable connection program and when i try to connect the 2 together they dont seem to find each other, I have set the static IP addresses at 192,168,0,1 & 192,168,0,2 while the subnet is at 255,255,255,0. I have run diagnostics on both cards and they checkout ok, in the device display the r running fine according to windows so if u can help me out to get this sorted I'd much appreciate it Thanks.....

Default Re: Direct Cable Connection ARGH!!!!!!!!

You do have a network protocol installed/enabled?

ie NETBUI or TCP/IP

Well I tried adding the ipx, netbeui, to no avail,I also have the tcp/ip protocol so what the F*** is wrong with the setup???????

what 'direct cable connection program' are you using??
    have you got client for microsoft networks installed?
    the host names in dns?
    server ip in dns and gateways?

Firstly, if you are using TCP/IP check that you have a physical connection. Go to MS DOS prompt and type in 'ping followed by ip address of other computer. This will tell you if the the two are talking to each other.

Just a thought Joe, but why use a direct cable connection program when u have a crossover cable and could just share folders etc..

Are u using the same workgroup name?.. You must have the same workgroup name or u can forget it...

Didn't u read the comment?.. He has 2 machines with a crossover cable... There is no Server!!... No DNS is required, and no gateway is required...

A direct cable connection will only work if you are using a parallel or serial cable between both computers.
    You must then specify which is the host and which is the guest.

What you are trying to do will not work.

I done correctly ( configured IP addresses, specified workgroup etc ) you will create what is called a peer-to-peer network. A peer-to-peer network has no server or client (host or guest).
    You must make sure you have file and print sharing enabled (use with caution if you connect to the internet with any of these machines). Next you should share what ever files or folders you wish to share.
    Once done a reboot is recommended, then open up a dos prompt and try pinging the other computer. If succesful open up Network neighbourhood and you should see all the computers that are connected to your network (2).

Good luck

Bruce Flyger